T5 Wiring Harness Help

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Re: T5 Wiring Harness Help

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:49 am

By the way, slightly off topic, but I pulled an ecu and found that it had already been hacked into:

Looks like the flash chips were replaced (wow that seems like a lot of work) and had a weird makeshift bridge between some of the legs... maybe this was an early pro tuned box before people had figured out how to flash right onto the chips on the ecu and they were actually writing the chips on the bench and soldering in?

ecu_mod.JPG
ecu_mod.JPG (171.56 KiB) Viewed 5025 times

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:22 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I may tag along on the next U pull it trip. I could use some guidance to pull the necessary bits for my T5 setup.

I'd like to go along as well, to pick up some random little things and I also need to meet up with Luke to get some parts. If any PA folks are planning on hitting some yards definitely let me know and I'll try to tag along.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Luke wrote:By the way, slightly off topic, but I pulled an ecu and found that it had already been hacked into:

Looks like the flash chips were replaced (wow that seems like a lot of work) and had a weird makeshift bridge between some of the legs... maybe this was an early pro tuned box before people had figured out how to flash right onto the chips on the ecu and they were actually writing the chips on the bench and soldering in?

Were you able to interface it with t5 suite and do a dump of its programming? Interesting if you could compare it to a stock map, but I'm not sure how that would work if they changed components on you or hardwired something different. I'd assume it was just a software change.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Jordan wrote:
Luke wrote:By the way, slightly off topic, but I pulled an ecu and found that it had already been hacked into:

Were you able to interface it with t5 suite and do a dump of its programming? Interesting if you could compare it to a stock map, but I'm not sure how that would work if they changed components on you or hardwired something different. I'd assume it was just a software change.

Haven't gotten quite that far yet, I do have a BDM (the actual interface hardware) and T5 suite working, just not on the same computer! I have the old style serial BDM that will only run on windows 98 with the freeware drivers, and I can't get T5 suite to run on that because 98 does not support .NET software. \ So I was going to just use a flash drive and move the files over but then i found out '98 dosent even support flash drives without a driver, so I need to get that working, not to mention I can't get the wireless card in that computer to login to the WEP encrypted wireless network... ugh technology. I had to burn a CD to even get the drivers for the BDM installed on it...

I think you guys will like this though, I made a really nice fixture for programming the ecu's without any need for soldering, I machined it out of UHMW and just drilled holes in the right spacing that hold pins right down over the boards connections that are needed for programming. It works perfectly, hopefully tonight I'll get the files off that computer and start looking at the in T5 Suite.

T5_3.JPG
T5_3.JPG (104.05 KiB) Viewed 5004 times

T5_2.JPG
T5_2.JPG (122.92 KiB) Viewed 5004 times

T5_4.JPG
T5_4.JPG (129.37 KiB) Viewed 5004 times

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 pm

My helper, I thought she just really liked hanging out with me, but turns out the computer fan was kicking out nice hot air.

T5_1.JPG
T5_1.JPG (99.11 KiB) Viewed 5004 times

photoT5_3.JPG
photoT5_3.JPG (143 KiB) Viewed 5003 times

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Make sure she's not grounded out if she like chewing on the red wires....

Love the setup, are you just letting the pin ends rest on the solder beads, or did you get all fancy with tinning up the ends to give them a soft contact pad?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

99sven

Postby 99sven » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Saab Rally takes on T5!! Sweet. The more people we have doing this the better off the c900 T5 folks will be. Especially when the talented and motivated Luke gets hold of it.

Luke: Once you have t5 running in the c900 you will not want to have anything to do with 2.2 or 2.4. Make it reversible, but I doubt you will ever go back. I loved your method for connecting the pin outs on the t5 board. Where did you get the super long pins?

Drew: there are a lot of similarities between the lh2.2 and the t5 wiring. You can definitely tell where the engineers that built the t5 built upon the older harness. However they made changes to the relay set up. I noticed that and thought it would be wise to duplicate the '94 harness. I was trying to avoid having issues. Nothing special about my relays. I used the metal relays that run the automatic seat belts in the '88 900. They can be found under the back seat of any car so afflicted. They come with a bracket and l figured they would work well. 70 k without a hiccup. On my next build I am going to move the bracket to the glove box. That way I could get to them easier without removing the knee pad under the dash.

Really impressive work Luke. Looking forward to your build.
Gregg Cronn

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:14 am

Luke wrote:Haven't gotten quite that far yet, I do have a BDM (the actual interface hardware) and T5 suite working, just not on the same computer! I have the old style serial BDM that will only run on windows 98 with the freeware drivers, and I can't get T5 suite to run on that because 98 does not support .NET software. \ So I was going to just use a flash drive and move the files over but then i found out '98 dosent even support flash drives without a driver, so I need to get that working, not to mention I can't get the wireless card in that computer to login to the WEP encrypted wireless network... ugh technology. I had to burn a CD to even get the drivers for the BDM installed on it...

From what I was reading you can install and run win98 (so you can run the BDM software) off a bootable USB drive from your normal windows XP machine. I'm assuming you dump some sort of bin file on to the drive, restart in XP, work with the file in T5Suite and then reburn back in Win98.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 am

Right, but my modern machine also doesn't have a lpt port, so I am stuck with the older machine for that :(. . but I did get a USB flash drive working on it and also the network adapter with some updated drivers.
So I looked at the bin I pulled off the mod'd ecu, it seemed pretty aggressive, basically it was calling for boost right up to the limit of what the maps can support with a 2.5 bar map sensor.
The car I pulled it off didnt look like it had much to support the extended boost level though, maybe that's why it was in a junkyard but not visibly wrecked :)

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:55 am

Ah I thought the BDM had a DB9 serial port which I thought you might have...but maybe not, I sure don't!

Anyway, cool you got it to work, Do you think it was pro-tuned or just a DIY job?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Luke,

I found a couple of possible mistakes on the wiring diagram/connections chart

- "Fuel pump" and "+15 switched power" labels and directional arrows are switched on the diagram. 87b should energize the fuel pump. Not sure about the pinout on the 6-pin, LH diagrams aren't handy.

- The ECM pinout for the Brake Light Signal is 15, which is omitted from the chart. However, it looks like it limits boost under braking, so I don't think most people would want to hook that up anyway.

- ...more of a clarification, Pins 1 and 48 are bridged between the h33-4 and ECM connections.

I followed your format and made a sister document using the 9000 grey plug, I can post it up once finished. I'll let you know if anything else pops up.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:30 am

Jordan wrote:Luke,

I found a couple of possible mistakes on the wiring diagram/connections chart

- "Fuel pump" and "+15 switched power" labels and directional arrows are switched on the diagram. 87b should energize the fuel pump. Not sure about the pinout on the 6-pin, LH diagrams aren't handy.

- The ECM pinout for the Brake Light Signal is 15, which is omitted from the chart. However, it looks like it limits boost under braking, so I don't think most people would want to hook that up anyway.

- ...more of a clarification, Pins 1 and 48 are bridged between the h33-4 and ECM connections.

I followed your format and made a sister document using the 9000 grey plug, I can post it up once finished. I'll let you know if anything else pops up.

Thanks, woops, yeah I had just swapped the labels on the connector for the +15, Fuel Pump.

I fixed the diagram and edited the original post, I also added a note about the brake light pin 48, as well greying out the existing wiring to clarify exactly what we need add vs what is already in the T5 harness.
Attachments
T5Wiring_2.pdf
(21.7 KiB) Downloaded 497 times

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 am

Finished up the grey plug (H70-1) connections chart. I'm not using either connector (H70 or H33) but most of the wires you need to adapt to the chassis, come off of it so it makes it easier to identify them.

T5ConnectionsH70-1.pdf
(47.47 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

In the throes of a Hutch's harnesses now. It looks like the biggest obstacle for having a no-cut adapted harness in a c900 is just the length of the harness from injector to ECM. No way it will do the stock routing without lengthening some bits, NG900 and 9000 look pretty much identical length wise as well.

Here is an NG900 vs LH 2.4 vs 9000 (bottom to top)
IMG_0741.JPG

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:15 pm

"I don't have a suitable bin. I'm sure someone out there has made one, but I've never seen it. Since we're talking about the single-year T5.2 box, I would imagine the bin would use non-ETS 1993 B234L base code (from box number 91 36 474), and replace the B234L maps with 9000 B204L maps (43 00 844 or 43 01 941). B204L or B204R maps from NG900, or even '99 9-3, might be useful too."

This is from my discussions w/ David Prantl and Jason Ericsson who have been/are helping me w/ my '93 Aero T5 box.
Any T5 users out there know of where I might find such a file? Luke will need the same (if he hasn't already built one ;) )...

john

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:01 pm

I think this will link you to a correct 9000 B204 file, if not just search the part number one the site and it will hopefully come up:
http://forum.ecuproject.com/showthread. ... #post57221

I think one of the tuning gurus over there could probably play around with a base t5.2 file and get you running good enough to fine tune it yourself (if you can).

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”