hood question

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

hood question

Postby saabfan9 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 am

not sure if this is the correct location for this post....i was cleaning the underside of my hood and while i was leaning into it the hood moved another step (excuse my poor description) but if my grille was in place the latch would have gone right through it the latch ended up hooked on the lower sheet metal where the grille mounts..i tried to tighten the 2 bolts that i see is this a normal operation or am i overlooking something? if normal what's to prevent a gust of wind or a bump to the hood from going through the grille or radiator?..maybe i'm not wording this correctly sorry

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: hood question

Postby 99Super » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Is your front bumper missing? Usually, the bumper will prevent the hood from over-rotating and having the hood latch engage the lower grille-opening lip.
Also, the latch gets bent forwards pretty easily by folks who are uninformed about how the 99 hood closes (I assume we are talking about a 99). The latch should point straight down from the hood. If the latch retaining ring (?) is bent, it can be removed by the two screws and straightened back out if it hasn't been broken.
I made a simple quick-release retaining strap to keep the hood from doing that as I often run FrankenSAAB bumperless.

john

saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: hood question

Postby saabfan9 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:27 pm

your right i do have the bumpers off..when you get time can you send a picture of the strap you made, if not the idea is very helpful i'm sure i can figure something out ..thank you very much

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”