c900 project rally/rallycross car

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
The Red Baron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby The Red Baron » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:09 pm

That's at least mostly responsible for the stickiness - def. don't drive hard until you get the mounts sorted! usually the front one will go and the side ones will still be fine, but give them a good check anyway.

Fieldsc

Postby Fieldsc » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Has anyone bought raw polyurthane stock and made their own bushings? There is a website/blog in which two sweedes convert a old porsche 911 to work with a b234r motor on the cheep. And they made all of their own bushings that way. But I dont know where to begin in choosing the correct poly material. Or know who sells it. I'll try to find that website when i get home, i'm pretty sure its in my bookmarks.
edit:/
http://project911.luminasweden.com/ <-thats the website, but its either down or gone.. Google has some of it cached.

http://www.google.com/search?q=http://p ... n&filter=0

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I've made some bushings, motor mounts, and other castings using polyurethane. I've purchased it from Mcmaster-Carr and hobby/casting websites. You really should use a vacuum chamber and vacuum pump after mixing and after pouring the mixed polyurethane to evacuate air bubbles. After it hardens in your mold you can cut, drill, machine it if you need. McMaster sells a preparation liquid that you can use to help improve it's bond to steel.

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:44 pm

Geoff wrote: There is a fix for the reverse pop out where you flip the lever arm in the tranny. Its on the Townsend Imports website and is pretty easy to do.

I couldn't find it. I have had it explained, but can someone hand over the direct link? It's supposed to be a great upgrade as it gives more travel to the idler gear for a more positive engagement.

Thanks

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:40 am

allessence wrote:
Geoff wrote: There is a fix for the reverse pop out where you flip the lever arm in the tranny. Its on the Townsend Imports website and is pretty easy to do.

I couldn't find it. I have had it explained, but can someone hand over the direct link? It's supposed to be a great upgrade as it gives more travel to the idler gear for a more positive engagement.

Thanks

http://townsendimports.com/Web/transmission_folder/reverse_gear_mod.htm

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:30 am

Thank you, much simpler than the way it was explained.

ValuePack

Postby ValuePack » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Fieldsc wrote:Ok, I guess that means I need a 91-93 S even more.

I've got a '92 S sedan here in So. NH, if you need it. Details: http://nh.craigslist.org/car/308598768.html

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:15 pm

thats the car I was thinking of that was/is on Craigslist...

ValuePack

Postby ValuePack » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm

Haha! Yeah, it's been for sale for a few months now. Hasn't moved for a while due to a bum clutch master, but runs like a top. I planned on tossing on some Bilsteins and Hellas to rallyx/TSD the hell out of it, but I have a 30yo woman and a 2yo girl at home that say otherwise.:) Give a shout if one of you guys wants it cheap. Unfortunatly, I'll need it gone soon and it's WAY too nice of a car to junk; shell is solid, low miles, needs an easy fix. I just mainly want to sell off the current herd(VW Golf, Screwbieru Forester) and get a super cheap Saab turbo to work on, even if it's a NG900(blasphemy).

Fieldsc

Postby Fieldsc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:27 am

Thanks for the offer, but at this point I cant afford a 4th car. Even though it is a non-turbo and will probably be easier to work with getting prepared for rallying for next yr.

Edit// noticed you want a c900/ng900 turbo. I would possibly consider trading car for car. Even though I would be on the loosing end value wise, it would be less work for me since rally america rules do not let green racers use turbos for the first 3 or 4 rallys... But the turbo is what makes the car so much fun. So I dunno.

ValuePack

Postby ValuePack » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 am

Fieldsc wrote:Thanks for the offer, but at this point I cant afford a 4th car. Even though it is a non-turbo and will probably be easier to work with getting prepared for rallying for next yr.

Edit// noticed you want a c900/ng900 turbo. I would possibly consider trading car for car. Even though I would be on the loosing end value wise, it would be less work for me since rally america rules do not let green racers use turbos for the first 3 or 4 rallys... But the turbo is what makes the car so much fun. So I dunno.

Boy is that tempting. I don't think a trade will work for me right now though. I've been out of work for nearly two months and I mainly need cash. I also don't really have parking for three cars, despite that I have three cars... the landlord has been threatening eviction for a while now.:)

Rest assured that when you do get an N/A car, it is still very fun without the turbo... no worries there. That kinda sucks that Rally America won't let you run a turbo car; it's not like it's a 400hp RWD coupe or something.
'92 900S sedan, for sale: http://nh.craigslist.org/car/331798135.html
'01 Forester L, brings out my manly feminine side
'03 Golf GLS 2.0, the wife's daily hack

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”