Help a Fool - Engine Revs Up When Gentle but Dies Under Load

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Mars
Nickname: Mars
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Help a Fool - Engine Revs Up When Gentle but Dies Under

Postby Mars » Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Does the 99 CIS system use an " accelerator pump " like the 900 does? sounds similar to what my 900 8v did a while back. Once I made sure this thingamajiggy was working and it ran fine.

The way I understand it, it fires the cold start injector when it senses the vacuum drops off, (ie opening of the throttle plate) to compensate for the instant lean condition.

It does have that. The PO set up the cold start injector to always run and I have not been able to figure out how to undo that so I came up with my home-brew solution to get around that. I suppose that would be the smart thing to do.

Mezzanine wrote:Pull the vacuum hose off and suck on it- you should only be able to draw a little air. If it passes that test, you can then check resistance across the contacts.

Mars, have you hooked up a CIS fuel pressure gauge to this thing yet? You're welcome to come by my place and use mine. Bonus: I have lots of CIS spares to fiddle with if necessary.

I will give that a shot, but given that the 5th injector is set up to work not-as-standard, I'll have to do some re-wiring. I would really appreciate a helping hand. I'll PM you after checking into that.

Mars
Nickname: Mars
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Mars » Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 pm

No change in Ohms on the thingiemajiggiy if under vacuum or not. Same results on the spare I have in the garage. I'm assuming their both shot?

sjones

Postby sjones » Mon May 06, 2013 9:47 pm

I had a bit of a problem with that same vacuum valve on mine. It would make a really loud clapping noise on revs, though the car would still idle fine. I took it apart and cleaned it and after that it has seemed to operate just fine. If you haven't already, get a tube of dielectric grease and and emery cloth. Clean all contacts, blade connectors and such .. remove all moss and dirt accumulation. We have that here in the PNW in abundance. Moss gets everywhere.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Maybe you could wire a light to the cold start injector? To see when its actually firing.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”