Help a Fool - Engine Revs Up When Gentle but Dies Under Load

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Mars
Nickname: Mars
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Help a Fool - Engine Revs Up When Gentle but Dies Under Load

Postby Mars » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Hey guys. I'm fumbling my way through getting my 99 running right, and I've fought this little fucker a lot recently. I have it idling now, but it's doing some odd stuff.

Two main things:

1. I have been having an inconsistency in cylinder number 1. Often it sounds like it's missing, and I pull the plugs to see cylinder 1 is wet but is getting good and consistent spark. All other cylinders have good consistent spark as well, and their plugs are not wet (however are a little sooty from richness). Why might this be?

2. I am able to rev up the engine with a light touch to the throttle, but when I get into it harder it starts to get very raspy and sounds like a lot of missing. If I bury my foot, I can kill the engine. I assume this is a fuel problem. Pressure maybe? Too little? Is there such a thing as too much?

Note:
-I have checked all injectors, they spray a very fine mist with no "pissing"
-I have changed the cap and rotor multiple times with no appreciable change.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I am getting pretty close here, and it's been a journey...

Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/lgakLHFoLTA

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Help a Fool - Engine Revs Up When Gentle but Dies Under

Postby squaab99t » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Have you check the ignition timing? With that helix thread jack shaft it is easy to be out of range to allow adjustment in the slots. AKA one tooth off.
The other thing might be the fuel pickup screen. maybe stopped up. It is on the front end of the fuel pump in the tank.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Sounds like the ignition is way too far advanced and when you accelerate it advances further because of the mechanical advance in the distributor.

Mars

Postby Mars » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:05 pm

squaab99t wrote:Have you check the ignition timing? With that helix thread jack shaft it is easy to be out of range to allow adjustment in the slots. AKA one tooth off.
The other thing might be the fuel pickup screen. maybe stopped up. It is on the front end of the fuel pump in the tank.

I went and grabbed my manual to triple check my work. It's a little frustrating because they don't have an "installing the distributor" guide for the distributor I have. Only the AC Delco and Bosch points ones. Anyhow, I snapped 2 pics.

This is how the distributor was set (with engine at TDC) at the time of my original post. According to the manual, on the points distributors, the mark on the rim should be in line with the rotor. As you will see, it is not:

So, I pulled it out and reset it so the mark aligned with the rotor:

Then, I started it. At first the engine would barely fire, so I had to advance it some, then it started. It however is exhibiting the same symptoms as before.

Jordan wrote:Sounds like the ignition is way too far advanced and when you accelerate it advances further because of the mechanical advance in the distributor.

Building off of this, I disconnected the vacuum advance and plugged the line. No change. Is there also a mechanical advance inside the distributor?

GOLFGURU
Nickname: GURU

Postby GOLFGURU » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Yes there is..Is it a djet? I would set the timing @ 1o deg. btc @ 800 rpm then rev it while aiming timing light to see if timing advances,2000rpm should be around 25*btdc I would also splice in a fuel preasure gauge at the rail, to make sure your getting 30lbs. of fuel preasure. Jegs has em for 20 bones..Make sure the gauge goes to 30lbs..Good luck,Joe :crazy: I think also if your ignition condensor is bad,It has the same symptoms...

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 pm

I think if the timing is set correctly and the injectors have good pattern, I'd lean towards a bad Control Pressure regulator causing a lean condition. Classic issue on K-Jet cars.

john

Sean Tennis
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Sean Tennis » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Mars, looking at the video this is on a cold engine... Your impulse contact switch is not firing the 5th injector (sometimes called the cold start injector) during warm up. Either a bad impulse switch, faulty thermal time switch or wiring issue.

The purpose of the impulse contact switch is to give added fuel to the engine via the 5th injector during warm up temperatures. A cold engine needs a richer mixture, more fuel or less air, this system uses more fuel. When the throttle is quickly opened the engine vacuum fires the impulse contact switch (little black plastic barrel with single vacuum hose and two electrical wires mounted to fuel filter bracket). If the thermal time switch (location-intake manifold at cylinder head between cyl 2-3) determines the engine temperature is cool enough the thermal time switch will allow the electrical signal generated by the impulse switch to travel to the 5th injector (location-top of throttle valve housing-has electrical connection and fuel line) and add an extra shot of fuel.
IMHO,
Sean Tennis

Mars

Postby Mars » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Thank you for that explanation. I wasn't sure exactly how that system worked. However, the previous owner set up the cold start injector to run at all times when plugged in, and at the time of taking the video, I had the injector plugged in. I can verify that it's working because when I unplug it, the engine will die.

I'm going to play with some things right now, and hopefully what you guys have suggested will help! Thanks.

Mars

Postby Mars » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:07 pm

99Super wrote:I think if the timing is set correctly and the injectors have good pattern, I'd lean towards a bad Control Pressure regulator causing a lean condition. Classic issue on K-Jet cars.

john

Is the control pressure regulator the same thing as the warm up regulator?

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Mars wrote:
99Super wrote:I think if the timing is set correctly and the injectors have good pattern, I'd lean towards a bad Control Pressure regulator causing a lean condition. Classic issue on K-Jet cars.

john

Is the control pressure regulator the same thing as the warm up regulator?

Yes. The CPR regulates the fuel pressures used to control mixtures during the warm-up cycle and set the mixture when warm. If these pressures are too high (i.e., the regulator has failed completely or is clogged), then your air meter will not lift when you try to open the throttle and the car will die. If they are partially bad, the car will run (leanly) when warm, but is difficult to start and won't run cold. This is sometimes worked around by using the cold start valve to richen the system.
I'd go find an old VW guy and see if he has a fuel pressure gage setup he can throw on or let you borrow. I made my own and they are an absolute necessity on a CIS car.

http://www.mikegabriel.net/vw/badhabitr ... ssure.html

john

rsp57
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby rsp57 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:19 pm

sounds like fuel pressure to me

Mars

Postby Mars » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Well, I've called around to local shops and it doesn't look like anyone will lend out a gauge. I wouldn't mind putting together one myself but I'm not sure where to look and what to buy exactly. This car was so exciting at first but now I look at it sitting in the driveway and throw my hands up.

I've swapped cold start regulators, fuel pumps, and tried a million and one things with the ignition. I went to swap fuel distributors with the spare I have but it only has 3 of the 5 connections I need so that wouldn't work.

The fuel distributor makes some noise when its running. I don't know if that's right.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:18 am

Fuel pressure gages are quite inexpensive:

first result on google:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... MBEPMCMAI#

How good is your coil? Have you checked your timing with a light yet? idle should be around 15 or 16 degrees BTDC iirc. I have had issues with low pressure in one fuel line causing it to run poorly on one cylinder. You could also do a compression check to rule out a head gasket issue.

Have you looked at the quality of your spark at each cylinder?
I am the 73%

Mars

Postby Mars » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 pm

I went ahead and ordered this fuel pressure tester - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006V2BI ... 177&sr=8-2

I hope it will connect without crazy fittings etc.

I have changed out the coil and battery as well as tested spark, all seems normal there. I have not used a timing light to set timing this far. I have only set static timing. That's another tool I don't have. If fuel pressure checks Out, I'll delve into that.

Additionally, I have checked compression. All numbers around 210 psi.

I'm such a noob...

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Go get a timing light, that should almost always be step 1 on any 'old' car.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”