Here's to rust in your eye!

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Here's to rust in your eye!

Postby GRMPer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:01 am

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:02 am

Wow considering you've only had the car for a little over a week I'd say you made some good progress!
Did you find the source of the oil leak yet?

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:09 am

man, you're making me feel like a slacker now...i better head out to the garage... :lol:

Paul

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:17 am

Nope, I'm waiting for the clutch before I disassemble anything, as it's kind of nice that it's moveable now. The clutch is slipping though w/ all that oil, so what was first thought to be a good idea is now a necessity.

As far as progress, I get a little bit obsessed when I get a new project....

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Boy that propane and undercoating combination sure makes a smelly mess. BTDT. I want to try to liquid nitrogen trick like Mike used on his 900. Plus then you can freeze some bouncy balls and smash them on the floor, fun stuff!

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:34 pm

oooh, liquid nitrogen....wonder where I'd get that around here.

I've done the dry ice thing...doesn't work all that well in FL during the summer...just doesn't get things cold enough.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:47 pm

GRMPer wrote:oooh, liquid nitrogen....wonder where I'd get that around here.

Pretty much any gas supplier (welding gases etc.) would have it. We buy a few gallons at work and it costs us $12. The expensive part is the dewar you need to store it in. That was in the hundreds of dollars range.

Or you could move to an area like New England where we just wait until it gets really cold out on the winter...

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Rallyho » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:01 pm

Liquid Nitrogen is wicked kool stuff. Not only can you turn ordinary household objects into frozen scrapnel, it takes undercoating off cars too!

I think I spent $175 for a 500lb dewar of the stuff. It leaked down though and I lost 1/2 the tank. Consequently I didn't get everything off the car. The trick is to get the low pressure tank and realllllly get an area cold, like it's cracking and popping, then wack it with a welding hammer.

Saabs have two layers...at least 900's do, of undercoating. The black goopy stuff, which is thick, and then a thinner layer that is painted right on the car. This second thinner layer is harder to get off.

I spend most of a Sat figuring this out. Oh, I also had JVAB's Cosmic Death Ray Gun and an extra length of "cryogenic fill line." The ray gun is a 3ft piece of copper tube, squished at one end as to make a fan shaped nozel, this had fitting brazed on the end to accept the line.

Anyway, anything that decreased the amount of black snot I blow out of my nose is good in my book!
Rallyho

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”