breaks up @ 3000 rpm's

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: breaks up @ 3000 rpm's

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:45 am

drew did you say the white car is not running or running poorly?

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:50 am

drew what does the 3 wire connector on the dist look like ...is it like dougs or mine? wondering if it matters

DougM
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby DougM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:01 am

As per the trigger point wiring:

The wiring diagram shows green wire to terminal 21, blue to 12, and red to terminal 22. I have a brand new set of trigger points in front of me, and there are no numbers on the plug(as a comparison, the TPS has numbers). You can't plug that in backwards since the plug is notched. I think those two wires switched is a non-issue. It just means that your setup is firing two different injectors at a time than mine is at any given time. Could be related to the reversal of the ignition points.

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:33 am

i want to say thanks guys for all the help and input...i've had old cars my whole life (never a vintage saab or d-jet) this car just doesn't want to play nice.. i'm going to be messing with this thing all day so i'm sure i'll be back and forth with updates..again thanks for the help chris

DougM

Postby DougM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:43 am

I think you should follow Luke's advice and install a standard set of points. You need to eliminate pertronix as a possible problem. Why else would you have to have timing so far out of whack for it to run?

Install points and set the distributor so the rotor lines up with the hash mark. You've got nothing else to lose at this point.

I have to work all day, but I'll try to sneak a peak for updates.

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:47 am

i picked a set up i even think they "might" be the right ones but i was looking last night i do not see a screw that would work to mount them

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 am

mine looks just like drews with the pertronix i will need a mounting screw in the middle like dougs...i also have to rig up some kind of wiring since the original stuff is long gone.....i dont have a condensor on my dist housing..the wiring should go something like: points to condensor-conden. to neg coil...do i have to have a condensor just to get this project started? can i just go points to neg. coil?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:26 am

Correct, mine doesn't run yet. Tentatively going to work on it Sunday with my brother.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 am

just for shits try advancing the rotor 1 tooth and play with it from there if yours should start then i feel these pertronix kits will not work with the "025" distributor

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 pm

update ..i switched over to a set of points and i was able to get the car started with the rotor in the proper location and real close to the mark on the dist housing it runs like crap but at least it starts does a little better at 25-30* but barely idle misses and pops but i feel i'm a little closer to dailing it in....ALSO i do not have a condensor on it how important is it to have

DougM

Postby DougM » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:27 pm

I found this bit of info on an MG page - describes the function of the condenser.

"When the points open to disconnect the ground connection you get instant spark. The condenser serves to enhance the spark by greatly increasing the voltage to the input of the coil. It does this through a sudden electrical surge and a high frequency ringing effect, bringing the voltage as high as 300 volts for input to the coil immediately after the points break."

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:37 pm

ok put the points in set every timing mark no luck screwed with the dist in every possible way still no luck i had to put the pertronix back on at least it runs that way, but during the course of the day and fucking with every adjustment i could now my idle hunts (800-3000) i'm done with it for the night i guess i'll re-trace my steps to find out what i fucked up....what do you think the market is for a rust free 99 with drivability issues...oh on a plus side i did get my breaking up issue alot better not 100% but 80% something tells me that once i get this hunting issue resolved i'll find my breaking up issue again seems to be my luck

DougM

Postby DougM » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Have you contacted the previous owner? He might be able to clue you in to when this problem started.

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:28 pm

during the course of the weekend just messing with everything until my back could not take any more....i got alot of the breaking up cleared not all by any means my cruising in out throttle has a hard kind of kick to it (i think i have to go back to the throttle switch adjustment) i just can't get the idle down sits at about 1800-2000 depending on how accurate the tach is..also a little rough in the idle department but much more civil on the driving front...running out ideas on what i can check or adjust

DougM

Postby DougM » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 pm

http://saabrally.com/downloads/SAAB_99_D-Jetronic.pdf

If you review the fault tracing page closely, some of your symptoms are given with explanations on what to check.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”