Spring Compressor?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Spring Compressor?

Postby Sam » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 am

What are you guys using for front coil spring compressors on 99s and 900s? I just broke the junky harbor freight one I have. It was not the greatest anyway because the studs were too long which forced me to use them upside down by turning the bolt with a hand wrench.

Definitely do not recommend the harborfreight one. The threads are easily damaged, and the triple nut design is horrendous.

There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

DougM
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Re: Spring Compressor?

Postby DougM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:34 am

I used a Harbor Freight $40 strut compressor and was able to remove two sets and reinstall both. I wouldn't say it was easy, as I had to take it apart to get the arms on the springs in the right places. If the span isn't enough, then you can't compress the spring enough to remove or install it. I even greased the threads a lot and they still got damaged. 1/2" drive socket and large ratchet was easier than hand wrenching it. Impact gun was out of the question if you didn't want to damage the threads.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:07 am

I use the one that Doug has, I shortened the screw a bit and it works fine. Never had to take it apart. I wish it had a forged screw, but other than that, its about as good as your going to get for cheap money.

Cark

Postby Cark » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:20 pm

I used the cheap (I think they sell for $40-50) ones they rent/loan at advance auto parts. They're like too long bolts with hooks on each end. Kind of sketchy to use, but worked on my 85 no problem.
03 9-5 Aero Wagon 5 spd M/T
85 900 turbo 5 spd 105k miles - Trionic 5ed in a day

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:22 am

I have the red one pictured above and it does work but needs to be modified. I need to overbore the cross piece and sleeve it with a hard steel colar to allow the threaded shaft to spin smoothly. In stock form the threads bite into the aluminum and bind the whole thing up.
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:14 am

Cark wrote:I used the cheap (I think they sell for $40-50) ones they rent/loan at advance auto parts. They're like too long bolts with hooks on each end. Kind of sketchy to use, but worked on my 85 no problem.

I'm on my second set of these and really think they are the best bet for a 99/900. I agree they are a little scary to use at first but they are MUCH more maneuverable than the big scissor type in those pictures, I tried those once and couldn't get them into a position where it was possible to get enough springs compressed to remove. Depending what spring is in there I've gotten them in and out in under 30 minutes a side which I think is pretty good.

Sam
Nickname: sambone

Postby Sam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 pm

The one in the photo i posted was the dealer tool shown in my 72 blue and grey manual. I wish something with round clamps like that still existed.

I imagine you must have used an open ended wrench with the studs pointing downwards. I bet that was 30+ minutes of turning there!
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Cark

Postby Cark » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm

hutch wrote:I'm on my second set of these and really think they are the best bet for a 99/900. I agree they are a little scary to use at first but they are MUCH more maneuverable than the big scissor type in those pictures, I tried those once and couldn't get them into a position where it was possible to get enough springs compressed to remove. Depending what spring is in there I've gotten them in and out in under 30 minutes a side which I think is pretty good.

30 mins per side sounds about right... once I got my stock 85 turbo springs out, the spg springs I was swapping in barely had to be compressed at all in order to fit.

It is a lot of wrench turning...

Buttercup
Nickname: Buttercup

Postby Buttercup » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:21 pm

We've got a cheap set (maybe Harbor Freight) of strut compressors. It works. Not easy. It works.

Bottom line. It works.

DougM
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby DougM » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Looking through some pictures from a dozen years ago, I guess I must have borrowed this set from Autozone.

Cark

Postby Cark » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:52 pm

^yup, those look exactly like what I got. I think they sell for about $50, or loan them for FREE!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:17 pm

I couldn't move my hand for a few days after one like that popped off and cracked me in the wrist.

be careful with them.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 am

SwedeSport wrote:I couldn't move my hand for a few days after one like that popped off and cracked me in the wrist.

be careful with them.

Lucky its the rust holding that one down and preventing those death grips from slipping.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 am

Mine are slightly different. Those have a pin to keep it on the spring.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 am

These are the ones I used, much more secure in my opinion since it actually clamps to the coil, which takes a bit longer but is worth it.
www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-Spring- ... 37&sr=1-54

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”