Ball joints

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
jln
Nickname: jln
Number of Saabs currently owned: 10

Ball joints

Postby jln » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 am

Hey guys.

Need to replace the front ball joints after ~500km special stages. Was wondering what type / brand you guys are using and from where you buy them?

Witch ones has the best rubberboot to handle the heat generated from the brakes.

Best regards Jonas

nutcase
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Ball joints

Postby nutcase » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:43 am

TRW (i.e. genuine).

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 am

Yep, TRW is the best, though any that do NOT have the stamped steel end will likely be just as good. Make sure there isn't a pressed on cap, and it should be a good one.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Jordan just started using Febi (Bilstein) ball joints which have a white boot
He said they are silicone but I haven't seen material specifications. If they are silicone they would have a high flame point. But polyisoprene (synthetic rubber) and TPE (thermoplastic elastomers) can be the same color and texture as silicone and would have different flame or melt points. Febi does not list materials of the joint on their website.

I don't think we know anyone who has put these ball joints to a severe test yet.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 pm

I've had the best luck with the TRW as well, here in the states those are now sold under the MOOG brand name, as TRW and MOOG merged a few years back. But you have to be careful as there are some crappy ones sold under the MOOG label as well, but they look totally different so they are easy to spot.
When I was running stock upper a-arms the uppers joints would typically last 3-4 events (400-500 stage miles) before they got too loose, the lowers seems to last about 8 events or so (800 stage miles) before they get too loose.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Seems to me we changed that Jag upper unit a few times since I have been sticking my greazy hands into the mix. Enough so that I can do a upper ball joint in your car in ten minutes flat.

I was always told the one thing to look for was the ones with the orange clips to hold the boot on. Supposedly that means they are the OE ones.

It has been a while since I needed to buy one. I have a pile of good used ones I am trying to use up.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Yes, just to be clear, I'm not certain they are silicone, just a guess based on look and feel. It could be just some sort of other mproved rubber. It would definitely be best find a spec sheet or ask the manufacturer.

They are definitely better than the Nordic ones, which is also cast, but not quite as heavy duty.

jln
Nickname: jln
Number of Saabs currently owned: 10

Postby jln » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:15 am

Jordan, where do you source them and what price are they?

I think TRW i got last time from rockauto but where do you order from to get correct and cheap? (cheap is not usually car parts in sweden :) )

Best regards Jonas

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:22 am

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/PartRes ... h=8993321F

I'm actually going to see a parts manager today, so I can ask if they have a material spec for them. They are pretty much the same price as genuine SAAB. I like the SAAB bolt kit better.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:06 am

So I heard back from the Febi Rep and all they provided me was that it was a polyurethane.

So that is settled.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”