Simple upgrades to B-engine?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Simple upgrades to B-engine?

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:51 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:How do you go about retrofitting an APC? Would it have to be an APC from an 8-valve?

Nope does not matter. APC just needs a knock sensor mounted properly on the block and the related wiring and controls. You will also need the 8v turbo exhaust manifold off of a 900.
I am the 73%

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Ditching the cat would kill any chance at passing emissions though, no? I'm in Utah and the cutoff for emissions is 1967 and older.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:00 pm

So which year would be the best for an APC/wiring, etc? Since mine is a 1980 900 turbo B-engine, would I need the exhaust manifold from an H-engine or a 16v? Or could I stick with the one I have?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:So which year would be the best for an APC/wiring, etc? Since mine is a 1980 900 turbo B-engine, would I need the exhaust manifold from an H-engine or a 16v? Or could I stick with the one I have?

As i recall 85 and earlier cars had a small apc box under the back seat while all the later cars have the box mounted in the engine bay. If you are running an 8v 99 you need the 8v 900 exhaust manifold.
I am the 73%

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Cool. Mine is already a 900 turbo, so I'll keep my exhaust manifold if that works. I do have an APC from an '85 SPG in the basement. No wiring though. Probably a good thing considering the reputation of the '85 900 wiring. But if I had a newer APC, would that work better? Or would it work at all?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:Cool. Mine is already a 900 turbo, so I'll keep my exhaust manifold if that works. I do have an APC from an '85 SPG in the basement. No wiring though. Probably a good thing considering the reputation of the '85 900 wiring. But if I had a newer APC, would that work better? Or would it work at all?

The early cars with LH fuel injection are still pretty simple. APC is essentially a standalone system that only controls the wastegate on the turbo. you will need a turbo with the appropriate wastegate...
I am the 73%

nutcase
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby nutcase » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:35 am

I can't remember exactly what car my setup came from, but 8v/16v doesn't really matter. You have to re-tune it to suit the different engine anyway :) I did use the later type that doesn't come from under the seat.

Why would you need a turbo with a different wastegate? I just put a bung in the exhaust manifold port that previously fed the turbo, and made a new pipe to head towards the other side of the engine bay where I put the valve etc. You also have to bypass the normal undjustable overboost valve and replace with the later version.

I put the knock sensor here:

Seems to work, although when I strip the engine down I'll drill into the block for it so it's more central.

I don't have the numbers from the fuel dissy and airflow meter to hand but will get them later.

Cark

Postby Cark » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:26 am

I would think that the APC solenoid could control the external WG no problem? That would actually be really freakin cool!!!
03 9-5 Aero Wagon 5 spd M/T
85 900 turbo 5 spd 105k miles - Trionic 5ed in a day

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 am

I was thinking that the stock turbo on the 99 did not use a wastegate because it uses that blow off valve.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 am

Crazyswede wrote:I was thinking that the stock turbo on the 99 did not use a wastegate because it uses that blow off valve.

All Saabs have a wastegate. The wastegate on the B-motor cars works differently than the H motor turbos, I do not know how you would hook an APC up to one, unless you swapped at least the turbo to the H-motor type. You would also need to swap exhaust manifolds because the early turbo cars have the wastegate attached to where the oxygen sensor bolts in the H motor cars.
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 am

I would think that the APC "W" line would just go to the hardline to the wastegate diaphragm on the B motor. The mechanics of the wastegate on the B motor are a little different (valve instead of a flap) but the operation is basically the same.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 am

As an edit to the above post concerning side draft webers on a turbo. There were some oddball cars out there that were turbo charged and ran carbs. So it could be done but would be classified in the why make your life miserable category. You could however install a set of Jenvey throttle bodies with a custom intake manifold. This would be one way to convert to a later fuel injection system and get that "carb" look. Cheap?...probably not.

I am the 73%

nutcase

Postby nutcase » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 pm

DeLorean wrote:
nutcase wrote:

No cat and a 6 port fuel dissy on our ones though, if that makes much difference.

This too is a nice update. Ditch the cat if you have not yet.

Nutcase, do you have the part number off your fuel distributor & air flow metering plate?

Dissy 0 438 100 045
Airflow 0 438 120 087

nutcase

Postby nutcase » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Luke wrote:I would think that the APC "W" line would just go to the hardline to the wastegate diaphragm on the B motor. The mechanics of the wastegate on the B motor are a little different (valve instead of a flap) but the operation is basically the same.

Yup :)

Annoyingly I can't find a pic.

Neil_G
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Neil_G » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 pm

8 port Porsche 928 fuel distributor and extra fuel injectors ... (even though these look like water injectors in the photo :rolleyes: )

Image'

Neil

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”