Rust Dissolver

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Rust Dissolver

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Picked up a gallon of Eastwood Rust Dissolver at their retail store a few weeks ago.

I used it to treat the surface rust in the engine bay of the 84 Notch. They sell it in liquid and gel consistencies. I'm pretty impressed with the stuff. I am cleaning up all my alignment shims as I work on assembling my front suspension. You all know how gnarly they can look after being in the car for a while.

I have a coffee can full of shims that I saved off the cars I have parted out. I figured it wouldn't hurt to clean them all up. First I scraped off any heavy scale, then buzzed them with a wire wheel on the bench grinder. I let them sit in the dissolver over night. Rinse them with water then dry them off and they are ready to paint. If you really want to be picky, you could go over them one more time with the wire wheel as in the pic. They will begin to oxidize almost immediately after rinsing them. Finally I sprayed them with silver enamel to protect them from future rust.

You could treat them with Eastwood After Blast. This is another cool product. You simply take your freshly blasted (or de-rusted) parts, spray a mist of After Blast onto the part, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, wipe off the excess with a paper towel, and let dry. The hub shown was blasted, and then treated with the product. It has been sitting in my damp shop for 6 months with no sign of rust.

Just thought you guys might find this useful.
Attachments
2012-11-05 13.03.40.jpg
2012-11-05 12.40.46.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Rust Dissolver

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Wait...you are removing rust? I thought you were supposed to clear coat it?
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Different car.

I wouldn't use this stuff on anything you drag home, you might not have anything left to work with.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:57 pm

That after-blast sounds cool, I will look into that for work. Thanks for sharing!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm

I like Eastwood products.

It doesn't hurt that their retail store is only a few blocks away from me. I go there at least once a week to check their scratch and dent sales.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 pm

I've been using the POR15 Prep and Ready which dissolves rust and leaves a zinc phosphate coating (same coating as After Blast). I don't know if the Prep and Ready dissolves the rust as well as Rust Dissolver but it leaves the same zinc phosphate coating and so far I've only been using it for pre-treatment prior to POR15 paint. I've left some parts I've treated with Prep and Ready in my humid garage for 6 months and most of it hasn't rusted over.

I may need to try some of that Rust Dissolver gel because the Prep and Ready runs off so you need to get creative with keeping it wet (misting occasionally, soaking, soaking a rag and wrapping the part in it, etc.)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:13 pm

The gel works better for brush on application, whereas the liquid is more for a soaking type of treatment.

Light rust is gone in 15 minutes, but heavier rust needs to sit overnight.

It works better if you scrape off as much as you can before treating. I don't think there is any zinc coating in the dissolver. It begins to rerust as soon as you take it out of the solution. And needs to be treated with another product.

Still pretty cool stuff in my book.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”