Electric Water Pump in 99

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:13 am

Without seeing a diagram that sounds ok to me.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:24 am

Well basically , stock there is a split that allows some coolant right from the manifold outlet to enter the water pump cover.. ie bypassing the heater core. I would be eliminating this bypass and all coolant would have to flow through the heater core.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:16 am

I took some photos of the setup on my 99 I just haven't uploaded them yet. basically I cut the stock hose in half and connected one end from the overflow bottle to the pump and the other from the pump to the old water pump housing. The little side hose I ran to the intake on the heater side, and the other heater hose I just plugged into the small hose that runs out from under the intake manifold. It seems to work fine. My heat takes a while to come on but its mostly because I drilled a small hole in the thermostat.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 pm

yeah, that's exactly what im doing. ill post pics.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:36 pm

And as a good test i recently towed a 1000lb Uhaul 5'x9' trailer with a 300lb motorcycle on it about 120 miles each way at speeds from 50 to 65 mph. The temperature never exceeded half on the gage. The
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Well I'm pretty much done with the install. Here are some pics I took in the middle. I'll have to take some more to show the final result. Over all it wasn't that bad to do. The hardest part was getting my glove box door off without breaking it because the lock won't turn... I put the controller in there.

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:21 am

as a good test i recently towed a 1000lb Uhaul 5'x9' trailer with a 300lb motorcycle on it about 120 miles each way at speeds from 50 to 65 mph

So, are you saying that you towed your bike somewhere to ride your bike? Sounds like somebody might be growing a vagina!

Just kidding, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation........right?

JT

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:24 am

airsweden wrote:So, are you saying that you towed your bike somewhere to ride your bike? Sounds like somebody might be growing a vagina!T
ZING!!
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:42 am

airsweden wrote:
as a good test i recently towed a 1000lb Uhaul 5'x9' trailer with a 300lb motorcycle on it about 120 miles each way at speeds from 50 to 65 mph

So, are you saying that you towed your bike somewhere to ride your bike? Sounds like somebody might be growing a vagina!

Just kidding, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation........right?

JT

Apparently you have never ridden a woods bike with full knobby tires for an extended period of time on the highway. I ride the bike all around here on the roads, dirt, and trails....but the trip to louden is a bit much with its current gearing, uncomfortable seat, etc etc. Its like driving the rally car all the way up to run Maine forest and then driving it home....on the rally tires.

This coming from the guy with $$$$'s of free O'neil driving instruction that hasn't jumped up and taken full advantage of.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:23 am

Crazyswede wrote:Its like driving the rally car all the way up to run Maine forest and then driving it home....on the rally tires.

Hey, I've done that! Drove up to the first New England SOG, then to Tim O'niels, ran some fun runs in the rallyX, back to SOG, then the next morning to an autoX (in Louden!), ran the autoX, then drove back home. All on rally tires (they were trashed by the end but were almost dead when I started the trip). Luke and Jon were there. We've also driven the car to Maine on street tires, run the Pro Rally, then trailered home...

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:56 am

Yeah yeah, I Know your couchy gets sore if you're out playing with the boys too long. I'm wondering what we're all doing in front of our computers in the middle of a day like this. Anyway, all 3 days at Tim O's will never get me close to your god given.......car chuckin ability. For me getting my teeth brushed and my ass wiped every morning is enough of a challenge.........you can't expect me to drive and maintain a car! The ole yeller 99 is just waiting for you to finish the wireing, then nothing stands between me and total world domination. err something like that.
JT

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:52 pm

Anyway....

:P

Car is back together and pump seems to be working well.. the temp just kind of sits at half way..creeps a little then goes back down to half. The lowest controller temp (which it's on) is a little higher than stock thermostat so I guess that is about right. They give you a resistor to put inline to lower the range, but I think it will be fine with out it... plus it seems kind of dinky.

I also should wire up the cooling fan switch which was disconnected for whatever reason. That and change the oil, it's been sitting for two months and who knows if gear peices got sent though the oil system...

Back to work!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”