Electric Water Pump in 99

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 07, 2007 11:06 am

Jordan, here is the Electric Water Pump (EWP) that I put in my 99 last summer when my pump went to the gods. I am running the 80 litre/min pump and that is plenty of flow.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_ ... on=product

I will try to take some pictures of the setup in my 99 this week for you. I do not currently run the optional controller, but you if have the dough thats the way to go. i currently just run a thermostat and as long as the thermostat is healthy the needle never goes above the middle point of the temp gage.

Here is the website that details the parts and the installation. I had to do a little work to find the correct freeze plug size as its not listed on the website. I have since forgotten what size it was...oops. I think I ended up modifying the one I found to fit. i also didnt run all of the same hoses as this guy does.

http://www.geocities.com/saab99ewp/index.html
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 07, 2007 12:06 pm

Jordan,

So what actually happened to it? did you pull the cover to see if the impeller was free spinning?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon May 07, 2007 1:11 pm

Luke wrote:Jordan,

So what actually happened to it? did you pull the cover to see if the impeller was free spinning?

Thats the first thing to do. You don't want to go cutting the hoses and installing a secondary pump if the mechanical pump isn't the problem...

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 07, 2007 1:21 pm

While were on the topic, what has everyone experience been with the 12 cog vs 8 cog pumps. My old b-motor turbo blew up the jackshaft and it was replaced with an older 8 cog one and then it seemed to last forever. The car I sold Per had been retrofitted with an 8 cog too I think (tee hee, thats probably why his car was "wicked retarded" I had pulled dizzy to see what jackshaft it had and then got distracted I guess)

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Mon May 07, 2007 1:27 pm

How does one tell the difference between 8 and 12 cog?

Also, Luke, any idea on the history of this car? It looks like the engine has been out before and the car runs out very well w/o smoke-I'm wondering if it was rebuilt.

Per

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 pm

The only time I've ever had a problem with the 12 cog shafts themselves were when someone replaced the pump shaft with an aftermarket shaft. The different gear angles and probably different hardness of the material just cuts into the idler shaft. There really is no reason to replace the shaft when rebuilding the pump unless there is a problem with the shaft. I have seen some 12 cogs that have had chipped and broken teeth which I assume is from someone doing something dumb to it (slide hammer to remove, hammer to install...). Of course this isn't to say that there aren't differences between the two.

Per, 99s weren't built with the two stroke engine so they don't smoke :wink:
Its very rare for a 99/900 non-turbo to smoke unless there is something really wrong with it. Turbos will smoke sometimes but it's generally due to the turbo. You can pull the head off at 200K miles and still see original cross hatching in the cylinder walls if it has been well maintained.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 07, 2007 1:39 pm

man what a day.

My Viggen got its passenger window bashed in for no apparent reason. And I have now confirmed bad water pump.

I just pulled the cover off and the impeller spins freely. I'm definately going the way of the EMP, I am just trying to find a good price. I got a quote of @410 USD for both pump + controller shipped from AU. There is one other person on ebay who I asked for a quote so I'll see what happens.. it sucks because last week there was a whole kit for 290+ 50 shipping. Oh well.

Yeah Seth , if you could take some pics of your set up that would be great. The only thing that seem a bit unclear is how the EWP will affect the car heat. Since this is no daily driver I'm not going to be too worried about it, but I would like some heat if I need it!

edit: oh yeah, does anybody have a water pump tool I could borrow briefly? Canada Nick said he had one, maybe Groo could ask him? Any body else?

double edit: Since I dont really need any parts of the WP I'm just going to try removal without a special tool. My guess is that the gear is probably gone already.

triple edit: Ok so I got the reverse nut off no problem... so how does one remove the impeller? does the whole shaft come out with the impeller? Slide hammer? What should I be careful not to break?
Last edited by Jordan on Mon May 07, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 07, 2007 2:56 pm

it does take a little longer for the heat to come on in the 99 but I have no problems with the amount of heat that I get. I think i plumbed my pump a little differently then the website dictates...I think my setup might be a little more efficient.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Mon May 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Your car got it's window smashed in, where? Near leanne's apartment? :D That sucks tho..
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 07, 2007 3:17 pm

yes and yes.

I guess I'm going to leave my water pump where it is for now until I get some answers. There goes the saab budget again for a while.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 07, 2007 3:21 pm

Will New Gen glass fit? There is no shortage of that in PA yards these days.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 07, 2007 3:36 pm

No idea. Probably, but I'd rather just get it fixed quick. I'm going to also take the opportunity to get my bumper fixed. I'll probably end up not taking the 99 to carlisle for two reasons. One is that I'm not sure if I will have it fixed by then since I will be waiting for parts to arrive, and two, the tranny is getting louder and louder so I'm a little worried about it and its kind of annoying to drive for long distances (ok thats three reasons I guess). If I had a 5-speed in I wouldn't be complaining, and if this hadn;t happened, I might attempt it.

Any thoughts on my WP questions above?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Yeah just try using a slide hammer, that should get it out if all the teeth are stripped.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Ok I'll try that next time... so am I trying to pull on the shaft? or the impeller over the shaft?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 07, 2007 3:55 pm

GRMPer wrote:How does one tell the difference between 8 and 12 cog?

Also, Luke, any idea on the history of this car? It looks like the engine has been out before and the car runs out very well w/o smoke-I'm wondering if it was rebuilt.

Per

The easiest way to tell is by the number of teeth on the distributor.

What I've heard is the early 8 tooth pumps used a forged steel shaft while the later 12 tooth were a cheaper cast steel that like to strip out.

I don't know much about the history of the car except it came with a stripped 12 tooth jackshaft in the trunk :D Which is what made me think to check which one they has replaced it with. Jackshaft removal requires engine removal so thats probably why it looks like the engine was out. Did you put some paint on that steel valve cover that they decided to strip? I thought that was sorta of wicked mentally challanged.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”