Random 99 Questions (thankfully, not 99 of them)

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu May 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Well its worse than I thought but there arent many that are any better than that left around. Honestly I think its a perfect rally canidate, solid where it counts but not so nice that you feel bad about thrashing on gravel roads.
You guys have seen the rusty car i bought and even that one I strongly considered saving... these old cars are getting really hard to find in any condition.

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Thu May 10, 2007 1:20 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking.

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Thu May 10, 2007 2:16 pm

yeah that thing is about 10x better than my 73 is rust wise. with this trans swap i found even more rust than i thought there was due to the undercoat basically just falling off the car. that one looks pretty mint compared to most! its defintely better than my 2 parts 99t's

but i think they may have been parked in a swamp for a couple years :lol:

see, it could be worse!

Paul

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu May 10, 2007 2:38 pm

For whatever reason I think the maroon saabs and volvos I have seen were always the rustiest. Stig has a few spots but nothing that bad.....unless any previous repairs were done well enough to disguise things. My old rally car is also quite solid...other then the abuse of many rallies.
I am the 73%

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Um, I don't think I'm complaining...I'm actually having fun with this.

If you didn't enjoy doing it, then what would the point of doing it be?
Glad your enjoying the process.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu May 10, 2007 8:32 pm

well you know how these old 99's are at this point, there are ALWAYS surprises... That car even with that rust is probably about as solid as you could ever hope to find that's not an Arizona car or something. It seems like polymer based body fillers are about as bad as you can get, I'm not sure why, but it basically always traps water underneath the filler it and make a nice rust explosion. Seems like that car was on the verge of being a lot worse then it is now, good thing it's being fixed properly.

As far as the mechanics of the car go... I mean you are dealing with a car that has probably been to about 10 different mechanics in it's lifetime whom have never worked on a 99 before :lol: It's amazing that there are any left at all. It seems like every time I see a 99 at this point I can find about 4 or 5 things that were "done" to the car that make me think "why the hell did they do that?"

Anyway looks like things are coming along nice. I think you’d probably enjoy it a lot more with a newer 5 speed, those gear drive 4 speeds are buzzzzzzzzzzzzzing along at 80 mph on the highway.
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu May 10, 2007 8:48 pm

99Super has a 99 with a 4 speed gear drive and it seemed to drive quite nicely I thought.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu May 10, 2007 9:48 pm

We arent building no stinkin highways cruisers here!

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu May 10, 2007 9:50 pm

haha, I guess I should remember what the car is going to be used as ;)
Less brake more gas!

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Thu May 10, 2007 10:45 pm

fuel economy is a good thing when there are more transit miles than stages miles.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Thu May 10, 2007 10:55 pm

For the wing window, you can probably just take the catch off the body of the car and get the window to open about 3 times as much, that might be enough room to work with.

As for rust free 99's, uhm, we have two we need to get rid of...

one has a lot of water puddled up in the floor and I'm sure will turn into a rust bucket eventually, but as far as I know its sound.

the other is the almost perfect condition 1970 shell that I had considered making into the rally car at first. I decided it would be best to smash up the '75 as my first rally car, instead of ruin something as sweet as a '70.

Both have perfect windshields, so we arn't giving these cars away, but we do need to free up some space around here.

Also my daily driver is a 99 :)

Oh, and so is my dad's daily driver. Haha.

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Fri May 11, 2007 12:01 am

Crazyswede wrote:99Super has a 99 with a 4 speed gear drive and it seemed to drive quite nicely I thought.

A gear drive 4 speed would be at about 4500 rpm's at 80 mph. That's the fastest I go in my car, although I try to keep it around 70 to 75. Its amazing how these engines hold up, because 'miles' are so much worse with a 4 speed.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri May 11, 2007 5:03 am

Matt wrote:If you didn't enjoy doing it, then what would the point of doing it be?
Glad your enjoying the process.

Um, honestly, editorial and promotion of a magazine. Some projects that I do, I enjoy. Some...not so much. The 99 is a project I enjoy. I personally have a hand in about 3/4s of the cars that our magazine(s) build, only a few of which are actually mine. A lot of that technical editor work is after hours, as I'm also the advertising director for our publications.

The window came out after I drilled out the rivets...didn't need to unscrew anything. Fixed that bit of rust and will put the window back in for now.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Fri May 11, 2007 6:38 am

Matt wrote:fuel economy is a good thing when there are more transit miles than stages miles.

This is true. Remember Luke, you have almost run out of gas in the past...
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

theoneGroo

Postby theoneGroo » Fri May 18, 2007 5:33 pm

adding more comments to old thoughts... yes it is a fuel pressure accumulator, its a canister with a diaphram (sp?) and a big spring and while i cannot attest to its helping out in a full throttle situation the saab service manual states that "residual (rest) pressure is maintained by the fuel pump checkvalve and fuel accumulator. This allows pressure to be maintained in the system once it is turned off for easy restarts and to control vapor lock." so yes you can remove the accumulator on your cis equipped car and may not have any problems with vapor lock... but who wants to be at the start of the next stage with a hot motor that you shut off for 10 minutes while waiting for the stage to start only to have a vapor lock situation and possibly difficult restart? oh and i am sure no one has ever experienced vapor lock... but i have and don't like it and recommend replacing the accumulator with one that doesn't leak and placing it somewhere out of harm's way. why they ever put it under the car next to the tank (like a 16v fuel filter) is beyond me...
Groo869

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”