Shifter bushings, what's needed for my 88 900???

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Adrian Thompson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Shifter bushings, what's needed for my 88 900???

Postby Adrian Thompson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 am

OK, over in the build section I posted about my new to me 88 900 turbo. I know I need to do at least the front engine/trans mount, but having done a few miles over the turkey day break, the shifter itself is also about as precise as a bowl of oatmeal. I know the 2nd gear syncro is shot, but I can live with that by rev matching. What are the wear items in the shifter assembly? Looking at the workshop manual I didn’t see (or missed) what can be replaced. It did mention a tool that locks the transmission in place while you set up the shifter, but when I was picking up the car Tim Thompson mentioned there was a way to get around using that, but there was so much going on I forgot what he said.

I think I need the following parts:
or this version looks better.
The coupler, that looks nice and cheap.

I'm pretty sure I need the coupler, but it seems pricey.

And where do I get the various bushings if needed in this pic?
I found the pic on 'thesaabsite' but it shows as NLA

Thanks
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: Shifter bushings, what's needed for my 88 900???

Postby DeLorean » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 am

your 88 SPG should have the 3rd picture you posted, the first 2 items are for the later cars, yours would not have one of those.

You may need a shifter bushing, however more typically you need the rubber shifter buhing IN the shifter, at the end of the shift housing
Less brake more gas!

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:29 am

DeLorean wrote:your 88 SPG should have the 3rd picture you posted, the first 2 items are for the later cars, yours would not have one of those.
OK, so if I need it, it's the expensive one :bawl: How do I decide if it needs changing?

DeLorean wrote:You may need a shifter bushing, however more typically you need the rubber shifter buhing IN the shifter, at the end of the shift housing

OK, where do I get these parts?

Thanks

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 am

Adrian Thompson wrote:
DeLorean wrote:your 88 SPG should have the 3rd picture you posted, the first 2 items are for the later cars, yours would not have one of those.
OK, so if I need it, it's the expensive one :bawl: How do I decide if it needs changing?

DeLorean wrote:You may need a shifter bushing, however more typically you need the rubber shifter buhing IN the shifter, at the end of the shift housing

OK, where do I get these parts?

Thanks

try a junkyard for the shifter coupler. I cannot remember ever seeing a bad one.
I am the 73%

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 am

OK, I'll assume it's good for now. What's the process for setting up the shifter without the special tool?

87 n/a
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby 87 n/a » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Adrian Thompson wrote:
I'm pretty sure I need the coupler, but it seems pricey.

I have this part somewhere in my garage. Willing to sell it for $40 shipped to you if that helps.
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:45 pm

I can't figure out what it is, but this MAY be it -

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/5801/90 ... b-8711608/

Or may be this?

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/31227/S ... t-8375156/

Can't remember, have not taken one apart for a while. I tend to think it's the 2nd one for the older shift housings.

The bushing that attaches to the output shaft from the shifter housing- (I'll call this the shifter HOUSING bushing). Also, ditto on the early style shifter bushings (transmission to engne) tending to last, however at this point, say the front main seal was leaky... for the last 20 years. The shifter bushing is probably shot by now, and will cause slop. The later style block type bushings tend to fail frequently, and cause an entirely disconnected shifter when those fail.
Less brake more gas!

RobVonSAAB
Nickname: Rob
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby RobVonSAAB » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:55 am

I would try to find the later shifter assembly. I think 1991 and up had the new shifters. You can identify them by their metal bases. I have been using them for the last 5 yrs with no problems, just grease them up and install. It is a factory improvement over the early plastic spring loaded base shifters. You put the shifter in 3rd gear and put a pin through the alignment holes on the shifter housing. Then you go under the car and tighten down the shift coupler. Get the front transmission mount fixed asap! You can cause serious damage to your trans and your remaining engine mounts if you let that go. I got a 900 once with all 3 mounts that went bad and it was dangerous feeling to just drive down the road, way too much movement going on! I have a front trans mount I can sell you, there are two different styles... hydraulic and solid. They also sell solid replacements that fit in-place of the hydraulic mounts. Good Luck!

mrazekan
Nickname: gusano

Postby mrazekan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 am

RobVonSAAB wrote:... You put the shifter in 3rd gear and put a pin through the alignment holes on the shifter housing. Then you go under the car and tighten down the shift coupler...

In case you missed it.

Also, the step between the two sentences is to extend the gear selection shaft coming out of the transmission. Pull it to words the rear of the car to put the transmission in third. You can use a drill bit to hold the shift shaft to the alignment hole on the front of the shifter housing (part seven above.) With the shifter and transmission in third, lock down the coupler.

If you look around, there is a guy who sells after market short shutters for the c900.

Cheers!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”