Modifying Spring Tower

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Modifying Spring Tower

Postby jdwertz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:10 pm

I am curious if anyone has done this and what suspension they used to replace it, struts, coil overs? What did you attach the other end of your new component to, spring perch bolt? I will be fitting a new suspension to my project c900 this winter.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Modifying Spring Tower

Postby Jordan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:03 am

What is wrong with the current system?

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:22 pm

All of my cars are currently running stock spring perches, although I do plan to modify them in my race cars, I am going to leave the stock stuff alone im my street cars. My 85t project has all original stuff with the exception of the Jamex springs and Bilstein touring shocks.

My tan 86 900 has been doing well at various motorsports events for years now. That is still on stock stuff. I am running cut SPG springs, and Bilstein HD shocks. But I did box the control arms and replace the bushings with poly. The next mod for this car would be fitting the springs I got out of a mid 80s Monte Carlo SS. I would need to modify the lower perch like your photo points out. Because the wire dia of the springs is fatter I need to make the lower perch narrower to fit them.

The 84 Notch is an all out race car, and I am using the stock car style stuff because it's cheap, and makes the car tuneable in terms of spring rate. The whole spring and weight jack setup might end up costing 500.00 The springs are available from 150- 1300 lb rates in 50 lb increments. I would not put this setup on a street car, it would be intolerable. But for a car you will be in for a few minutes per run...

You really have to look at the purpose of the car. the 2-3000 youll spend to put custom coil over shocks on it would go a long way somewhere else.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:51 am

jdwertz wrote:I am curious if anyone has done this and what suspension they used to replace it, struts, coil overs? What did you attach the other end of your new component to, spring perch bolt? I will be fitting a new suspension to my project c900 this winter.

Luke's red rally car has a full coil over suspension that has gone through several iterations in order to solve all the problems around the design. It can be done but it is a lot of work and a fair amount of fabrication. Expect to either put a lot of hours into making it happen or paying someone else a lot of money to do it.
I am the 73%

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info guys. There is nothing wrong with the stock setup but I am going to be doing something special. The time required to make it work does not bother me. I will have to look into Luke's threads and see if he has any pictures of his swap.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”