steering wheel restoration

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

steering wheel restoration

Postby saabfan9 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:19 pm

can anyone reccomend a steering wheel restoration service all i seem to find are american car wheel resto services..somewhere in the chicago region is a plus but open to any good shop

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: steering wheel restoration

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

Some details about the wheel?

If it is wood you can probably strip, stain, and reclear it yourself.

If it is leather I would just talk to the Street Rod and Custom crowd. I used to deal with a guy local to me.
I had him rewrap a leather shift knob, and make a custom leather shift boot for me. Was going to take my S&R wheel to him to replace the leather, but never got around to it. He did alot of street rod work. He had a car in his shop that he was putting a whole interior in. The total cost of the interior was expected to top out at about 60k. He really was a true craftsman and did top notch work.

He was in his 60s then (20 yrs ago). Last time I tried to find him, I heard his health had closed his shop, and that he was not doing well.

There are other shops that can do it, but all the true old school crafters are disappearing.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”