A-arm plates

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Not being a materials guru like most of you... what are the properties of delrin? It's a really hard plastic, correct?

My feeling would be you would want something with excellent vertical articulation and maybe a little give to suppress vibration/ sudden shock. That would just be my common sense thinking which sometimes has nothing to do with reality.
Last edited by Jordan on Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:57 pm

delrin is non hydroscopic unlike nylon. If immersed in water the nylon will take up some of the water where Delrin won't.
The other factor is higher modular wieght. self lubricating, and less elasticity from what I remember.

This makes it just about perfect for bushing. The rubber ones work just fine but with the LSD in the car and old rubber ones the squishiness could be eliminated totally especially with plates welded on.

The reason I asked is my bushings are due for a replacement and with the delrin ones you can change them out with everything still in the car. I have a hydualic spring compress but it's still a pain to get the inside bolts out and then slide the wish bone out. With the delrin you just cut out/unbolt one side and then slip the delrin ones on.

I really don't want to do any engine/trans pulling till the spring. I have all the parts for a tranny rebuild, but just had back surgery so won't be up for anything for 6-8weeks I've been told by the Drs.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:16 am

Jordan wrote:Not being a materials guru like most of you... what are the properties of delrin? It's a really hard plastic, correct?

My feeling would be you would want something with excellent vertical articulation and maybe a little give to suppress vibration/ sudden shock. That would just be my common sense thinking which sometimes has nothing to do with reality.

Can I make a codpiece out of delrin?

:crazy:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:23 pm

You've been looking at Groo's shift knobs , haven't you.

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Hey, I'm not ashamed at ALL to admit I've been sleeping with my SaabRally.com shifter since it got here on Tuesday!
Rallyho

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:23 pm

Ribbed for your pleasure.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco

Postby Rallyho » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:10 pm

...it seals tighter with the tripple o-rings...

:)

Oh right, we're talking about a-arms. Mine don't look anywhere as nice as yours luke...more like something that Tina Turner was swinging around over here head on Mad Max Thunderdone, but whatevah.. I welded the rod where it fits into the legs, plated the inside of the c-channels, then wrapped the entire outside with 16g including around the back, then hole-sawed a 3in hole through the middle of the whole mess, hammered a length of exh pipe through, welded that and ground it all back..

there...got it? :)
Rallyho

sonett

Postby sonett » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:36 am

allessence wrote:One major failure point I see on street driven cars is the wishbones being very rusty. This leads to cracking and failure. Though usually not catastrophic it is usually still like Duh, I should have changed them out.

Any sources for Delrin/urethane bushings in the US yet? I know Sonet was making some up, but 200.00 a set is a little high. I have the material just no way to get it machined now that I have moved the shop.

The nylon used on the bushes i have made is called SFN, specially formulated nylon, it's self lubricating and used on all kinds of rally cars, it's a pity the USD is quite weak against the GBP, i enjoy buying parts from the states :D

DanComden

Postby DanComden » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:50 pm

squaab99t wrote:16ga. Hans if you want help doing up a set I can set you up. I also have acess to some dimple dies for stiffening flanges.

A quick note to publicly thank Squaab99t for his great job welding a set of plates onto a replacement control arm for us. He has a great shop and is a friendly guy. If I still owe you for those plates, please let me know!

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:07 am

DanComden wrote:
squaab99t wrote:16ga. Hans if you want help doing up a set I can set you up. I also have acess to some dimple dies for stiffening flanges.

A quick note to publicly thank Squaab99t for his great job welding a set of plates onto a replacement control arm for us. He has a great shop and is a friendly guy. If I still owe you for those plates, please let me know!

You and Hans are welcome. I'm glad to help on your way to your Alcan adventure. You are paid in full with the malted beverage exchange. 8)

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:50 am

Jennifer, you said that you had some delrin? I could machine up a set of bushings if you sent me the material (in all my free time as an engineering undergrad) since I have 24 hour machine shop access at school, if someone else was interested in contributing some polyurethane to do a side by side.

Our shop uses a fair amount of delrin for student projects, it's tough, very abrasion resistant, and machines pretty easy, very similar to the PU that a lot of the performance bushings are made from. The black plastic idler wheels on most bicycle dérailleurs are almost always made of delrin, and they have the steel bike chain riding on them, usually with no bearing between them and their shaft, and they seldom if ever wear out before the linkage in the dérailleur does.

We could whip some up quick if you included a drawing of what they need to be cut to.

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”