A-arm plates

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

A-arm plates

Postby Luke » Wed May 16, 2007 2:00 pm

So I've sold a few sets of a-arms but the thought occured to be that they are very labor intensive for me to make. I have to source cores and bead blast them and then cut all the reinforcements, and then each arm requires about 30 minutes of TIG welding. So basically they eat of a lot of my time and I make very little from them.
Then I was thinking that pretty much anybody that is going to build a rally car is going to have some sort of welding resources and could probably do their own. I am thinking about having these drawn up in CAD and then having a large stack of plates cut at the watercutters. This would save me a lot of time and I would also be able to offer just the reinforcements for people than prefer to weld things themselves. I have no idea of cost yet but in the small volume I would have run my best guess is around $50 for a set of 4 plates. Would anybody be interested in these?

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed May 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Well I know saab people are cheap, but you should probably charge a little more for your commissions. And I thought you were taking cores? I think the fact that you do excellent work should justify a premium.

As for the A-arms... id like some reinforcement, but not to rally spec, I think its unnecessary for my pansy driving surfaces and adds unsprung weight. I'd probably only need to strengthen my lowers too. For rally it's probably a good idea though if people are asking for them.

GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Wed May 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Yes, I would...and I was actually thinking about asking you just for the plates with those nifty little dimpled holes. four would be for two control arms or four?

Per

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed May 16, 2007 3:25 pm

Well I was thinking about just the lower arms so 4 plates would do both lower arms, but it would make sense to do the upper plates as well.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed May 16, 2007 4:36 pm

its a pretty simple shape. its pretty much just a trapezoid with a couple of holes down the middle for the bottom plate, and the top plate could be made into 2 pieces so that you could reinforce the shock mount at the same time.
I am the 73%

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed May 16, 2007 4:42 pm

Well, in my case, you made just a pair for the bottoms of the lowers, right? I don't need super strength for road use, but the stiffening helps handling.
I think L&R lowers will be the most common seller for a modest upgrade.

john

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed May 16, 2007 6:27 pm

john, you are getting 4 plates for the lower a-arms (top and bottom). You will need to "gently massage" the upper plates to clear the chassis expecially since you probably run your car much lower than mine. I accomplish this with a large radius die in a press, but a hammer will also suffice.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Thu May 17, 2007 9:19 am

Cool! I'm looking forward to getting them! I have access to a big press and big hammers : )
The ones I made were (as Seth suggests) just some trapezoidal plates that I hammered to fit and welded in place.

john

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Wed May 23, 2007 12:48 pm

Luke, let me know when you start making these...I'm sourcing suspension parts now, just ordered balljoints/bushings.

Per

SAABMaven

Count me in for two sets.

Postby SAABMaven » Thu May 24, 2007 8:03 am

In the interests of time, I may want to send you a set of new lower A-arms. Interested in the work? My closest competent welder is 12 years old and needs to spend more time on her math. I need to spend more time on my homework as well :( as I'm in grad school and working too.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu May 24, 2007 9:09 am

Rob, would yours be for a 96? I'd have to make custom plates for them, I've never done them before.

SAABMaven

C900

Postby SAABMaven » Thu May 24, 2007 9:52 am

Nah, a C900. Mine and my wife's.

I have ordered new lower control arms for my 900 already; the prices have come down a _lot_. Hopefully they're not chinese imitations.

So one would be applying the plates to new clean control arms. In my experience most of the time and frustration is in cleaning them up.

Regarding my 96, back in 1996 I was able to buy _one_ pair of Sport & Rally control arms, upper and lower, and for the other side I just imitated what they did.

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: C900

Postby Hans » Thu May 24, 2007 2:44 pm

SAABMaven wrote:Hopefully they're not chinese imitations.

If they're Scantechs, then yer close: Made in Korea.

I have them on my 89 daily driver, and they are fine: the finish quality is decent, and the welds are well-done.

Incidentally, in 92 (91?) the part numbers for lower arms changed. I ASSume that Saab fixed the problem.

SAABMaven

Postby SAABMaven » Thu May 24, 2007 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info.

If memory serves, the weakness has (or had) something to do with backing up with steering lock, or similar manoevres. To this day I avoid backing up with the steering wheel cocked; simply because I'm not sure.

Cheers
Rob

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu May 24, 2007 3:39 pm

I bought a set of scantech a-arms, they were very well made. The problem is the epoxy based paint on them was almost impossible to get off when I went to reinforce them. I stripped as much as I could and then when I went to weld them the remaining paint gave off horrible fumes and gave me a bad headache and I probably lost mucho brain cells. The j-yard ones clean up nicely in a blasting cabinet for fume free welding pleasure.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”