Suspension

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Suspension

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 pm

Anyone got the measurement for the width across the drivers of a 99/900 transmission? Measured from the front surface of the tripod carrier to the same surface on the other side. Should be close to 27". The distance between the center of the top to the center of the bottom mount holes on the steering yoke would be handy too. All my stuff is hard to reach at the moment.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Suspension

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Tripod carrier I get about 15"

Not sure what other measurements you mean.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 am

I am working on drawing up the front suspension for some future design change ideas for different applications. Last time I was at Jon's place we measured the distance between the top A arm pivots and the bottom A arm pivots for a 900 and a 99.

900:
top 27.5"
bottom 26.75"

99:
top 27"

did not get to the measure the bottom of the 99.

If the drivers are 15" across then that actualy puts the inner CV joint out of the plane of the equal length for the upper/lower A arm parallelogram. This works because the tripod can slide in and out and they likely did this to help reduce the wear on the inner drivers. I don't think the Saab front end is a true parallelogram either...I suspect that the hub is slightly greater spacing than the body mounts.

this is the hub dimension I was looking for:

first sketch:

Still have to get a few more measurements.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 am

end goal is to have this capability:

This however will require some thinking because the Saab transmission does not align with the axles in the proper method...so it would/will require a significant redesign. So right now its an exercise in thought for the 1 hour commute to work and the 1 hour commute home :huh:
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 am

of course...now that I look at this image the axle to A arm spacing is obvious:

I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 am

The dimension you labeled "X" above is 8.75" (from an '85 900T). Don't forget that you really want to know the center distance between the pivot points (center of the top ball joint to the center of the lower ball joint). This is about 10.25"

Also don't forget that the center of the ball joints are not in a vertical plane with one another. The center of the top hole in the spindle (hole of the ball joint) is about 2" further inboard than the center of the lower hole in the spindle.

I measured between the top hole in the spindle and the rotor face that the wheel abuts and got about 6.75". So factor in your wheel offset and you'll get the distance of the center of the tire from the ball joints if you need.

I'm not getting too detailed with measurements here...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 am

Crazyswede wrote:I am working on drawing up the front suspension for some future design change ideas for different applications. Last time I was at Jon's place we measured the distance between the top A arm pivots and the bottom A arm pivots for a 900 and a 99.

900:
top 27.5"
bottom 26.75"

99:
top 27"

I just happened to put a 99 up on jack stands this morning. I got 26.69" for the bottom, measured between the A-arms, dimension taken between the centers of the A-arm pivot rods.

So the 99 lower mounts are 0.15" (per side) further inwards than the top mounts (towards the center of the car) but the 900 is 0.38" (per side)? Interesting..
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:57 am

Geoff wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:I am working on drawing up the front suspension for some future design change ideas for different applications. Last time I was at Jon's place we measured the distance between the top A arm pivots and the bottom A arm pivots for a 900 and a 99.

900:
top 27.5"
bottom 26.75"

99:
top 27"

I just happened to put a 99 up on jack stands this morning. I got 26.69" for the bottom, measured between the A-arms, dimension taken between the centers of the A-arm pivot rods.

So the 99 lower mounts are 0.15" (per side) further inwards than the top mounts (towards the center of the car) but the 900 is 0.38" (per side)? Interesting..

Wouldn't hurt to measure it again, its possible we made a mistake. I can measure the 71 as the engine is out right now. The Saab setup is not a true Parallelogram, I hink the inboard vertical distance is closer than the outboard but have not measured it yet.
I am the 73%

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 pm

If you think of any other measurements that would be helpful from a 900 let me know. I have some knuckles on the parts shelf and a few 900's at the moment in various states of being taken apart so things are prett easy to get at.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”