Oops (Don't tug your Saab's ass)

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Oops (Don't tug your Saab's ass)

Postby Hans » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:40 am

Usually when I'm doing a TSD, I sit on the right side of the car, messing up a TimeWise. However, in February I had an opportunity to drive the Thunderbird Rally up in BC, in my friend Dan's 85T. Of course, I stuffed it (too early on the gas) and, at one point, had to get a tug from the sweep truck.

You know those eyelets formed into the rear bumper brackets? Don't use them as tow points:

Not only did the sweep truck pull the bumper clean off (making an impressive racket as it tore free), tearing some sheet metal in the process, but all four of the bolts that protrude from the body were snapped. Replacing these is a non-trivial matter; they are permanently attached to the car and do not screw or otherwise pop out. Also, to *push* a car body back into shape is pretty different from pulling it (the bottom hatch metal is deformed by about an inch now, and no longer completely horizontal). Dan had four bodyshop guys at one shop scratching their heads about how best to fix the thing. We've gotten into more experienced hands now, but we're still not sure the hatch will seal right (at least we've gotten it to close again).

So, yeah, if you're doing stuff where you might need a pull out of the snow or mud or muck, then I suggest figuring out a bomber attachment that is not the bumper mount. I think we'll end up doing something with the tow hitch mounting points.

Incidentally, the car rolled 300,000 miles on the rally; I tried to burn it down on an autumn rally but failed, and she still runs great.

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Oops (Don't tug your Saab's ass)

Postby SalemSaab » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm

I learned that lesson years ago from this video (good thing, cos I had my Golf pulled out of a ditch once)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDvGOIzm5bY

(FF to 1:25)
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Damn, that was rough to watch.Sucks to be that guy.

85t was fixed today, cost was under 200, thanks to Scanwest.

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Front is even worse. Use the upper loops and you can watch your grill and radiator fly through the air before your eyes. Lower loops on the crossmember are a much better option.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”