Found 2 99 turbos at the E-Z pull

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Found 2 99 turbos at the E-Z pull

Postby DeLorean » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:45 pm

We just found a pair of 99-turbos... Paul H has pictures, there are still quite a few parts I am not claiming, someone should get!

We already got quite a few parts from them, 2 windshields (with good gaskets), and the complete driveline from the one, along with the cyl head, manifolds & turbo from the other. No burnt valves, no cracked exhaust manifolds! A lot of other good stuff remains...

I's recommend someone take the bottom end of the B-motor if it's still good by the time you get there, the cyl. head from it was immaculate and CLEAN. The trans (I took the shifter) seemed like it would probably shift well. Everything is CHEAP at this yard. A few good body panes, a fair hood, fair doors, old style glass good back seats, possibly "usable" front seats in one... there is still good stuff there. There were 3 cars worth of parts in these 2 cars (I got 3 cars worth of turn signals, and there were 3 back seats...... so one more may be coming out soon.

I love this yard. We roll up in the forklift with a COMPLETE saab engine & transmission. Manifolds, turbo, valve cover, K-jet unit, alternator... a drop in complete drive line. "AAh, an old Saab engine" - Motor, complete $128 with tax

I just pulled the motor apart that we took, it is CLEAN too. fresh gaskets... or even had we not bothered it would fire right up in a car and go. I do realize having the car for it to go in is most peoples problem at this point.... But we have that bit covered.
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Found 2 99 turbos at the E-Z pull

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Do you care to divulge what yard it was ?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Chouan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Chouan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Yeah, I would like to take a look.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 pm

sorry, the ez pull, joes ez pull new ringgold pa
Less brake more gas!

Chouan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Chouan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Hmm, I wonder if there will still be bits left by Carlisle. Its on the way from NY.

Could use some grille pieces, interior panels, trunk panels.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:16 am

Grill pieces you won't find, I got em :) Trunk pieces... maybe! not sure. The would probably be $5.00 if they are there still. interior pieces, yep, various pieces were still there, but I did take the only good set of door panels.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 am

So were these cars rusty or crashed?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

MattWatson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby MattWatson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 am

Do they have decent metal around the windshield?

At some point I am going to need the metal from the windshield to say 6" back into the roof and the bottom area between the window and the hood in order to rapair the cancer on the 99.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Metal around the screen was good, I pulled both screens and it's good on both.

Geoff, I am almost sure these cars both came from the same place, and I think the plan was to make 1 nice one between the 2 (or possibly 3) cars. There was very easily 1 good car between the 2 in the yard. Would have been a nice project, the one, last regestered in 1999 was crashed pretty badly. Engine into the firewall, lots of front end damage. the shift housing actually exploded from the impact, and there was a bit of footwell intrusion. The windshield did not break, and the hood catches worked. hood was folded in 1/2. This car was also rusty. This was the one with the really nice cyl. head, and really clean motor. it appeared to have just been reworked before the incident.

The other car was reasonably solid, and appeared to have been repainted - probably around 2001 about when it was last registered (not in PA), but they never managed to actually regester in PA. The cars plate bracket appeared to have been removed for the re-paint, and never got back onto the car, never had a PA inspection. We have the VIN's from both in case anyone is interested.

The one that had the "recent" re-paint (2001ish, suspected) also had all new front end components, new ball joints, freshly painted control arms, new style hubs, new bushings, rear sway bar, Koni shocks, etc etc, however it had drive axle ends only in the hubs, which were freshly greased with some special colored grease and sealed with a plastic bag & a zip tie - probably so it could be rolled around and/or flat towed? It also appeared that both cars had been stored outside for some time.

Automotive forensics!
Less brake more gas!

tweek's Turbos

Postby tweek's Turbos » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Yep, I got a good AMM from a 9-5 for $10.

MattWatson

Postby MattWatson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Any chance you are willing to cut out a couple strips of metal if I do a bit of measuring?

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”