Shock question

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
87 n/a
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Shock question

Postby 87 n/a » Mon May 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Koni Reds or Bilstien HDs? Anybody have experience with both these and have some guidance or wisdom to impart?

Car is an 87 900 pavement pounder, track day car only. Already run a passenger side solid motor mount so daily comfort isn't my goal. :lol: Performance at the lowest cost is the goal. And ignore any price difference between these 2 shocks for the sake of this exercise.

What say you all?
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Shock question

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 13, 2013 3:58 pm

The koni's seem to work well on pavement but are a bit harsh on the dirt. The HD's are good all around shocks and you can send them out to Bilstein for custom valving.
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm

As is usually the way internet wisdom goes, I found the opposite.

Although ditto for pavement, I like the Konis better if you can find them.

I think the HD's are harsh over bumps, and the Koni's seem to handle high- and medium-speed damping a little smoother (bumps in the road, potholes, things where the suspension travels very fast).

I rallycrossed my '85 2 weeks ago with B&G sport springs and Koni reds and thought the ride was fine, pretty choppy course too. I think they were set to full soft all the way around.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 pm

DrewP wrote:As is usually the way internet wisdom goes, I found the opposite.

Although ditto for pavement, I like the Konis better if you can find them.

I think the HD's are harsh over bumps, and the Koni's seem to handle high- and medium-speed damping a little smoother (bumps in the road, potholes, things where the suspension travels very fast).

I rallycrossed my '85 2 weeks ago with B&G sport springs and Koni reds and thought the ride was fine, pretty choppy course too. I think they were set to full soft all the way around.

Spring selection will have a lot of effect as well. I think you will be fine with the Konis for a pavement application.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 13, 2013 4:37 pm

I have a full set of brand new 4 way adjust Koni shocks I intend to combine with the Kilen swedish springs for my 71 99. I think this will be a good street setup.
I am the 73%

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon May 13, 2013 4:53 pm

In discussions to drag home a former 365hp 88 SPG that is supposedly fitted will Koni Reds and Intax springs. Not really sure what she looks like now. Pictures received are dated 2003.

Just running sachs blues on cut stock springs now. Entering a turn, I just load the car onto the bump stops and ride it that way. Actually seems to handle better across pavement upsets better than cars costing 100X more.
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 13, 2013 4:55 pm

87 n/a wrote:In discussions to drag home a former 365hp 88 SPG that is supposedly fitted will Koni Reds and Intax springs. Not really sure what she looks like now. Pictures received are dated 2003.

Just running sachs blues on cut stock springs now. Entering a turn, I just load the car onto the bump stops and ride it that way. Actually seems to handle better across pavement upsets better than cars costing 100X more.

my 85 900 notchback has Bilstein HD's and Jamex springs. It is a very harsh ride but it corners wonderfully. Its a lot of fun to push all 8 valves of fury around interstate on ramps :lol:
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 pm

I have 2 sets of HDs and 1 set of Touring ... but have yet to drive on any of them.

The 86 900 still has KYBs on it. They kinda suck.

I suppose I should stop procrastinating and install the HDs that are just hanging out on the shelf.

Can you get SPAX shocks for a 900? I have them for my 99 (again never installed). They are adjustable.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 am

I've had both. My last '90 SPG had SPG springs and Bilstein HDs, and the current '90 SPG has Intrax springs and Koni reds. I like the Konis a lot more. Bilsteins are more harsh, but it could be that the Konis are adjusted differently. I do like the Bilstein HDs more on my '94 CE with taller stock convertible springs - they don't seem harsh at all and ride very nicely. I also have Koni reds and Swedish Dynamics springs on the '80 900t. Very nice ride. Quiet, tight, and incredible in the corners. I think that's my favorite setup.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 am

The Konis are fine and quite well suited for the street and autoX etc. They are definitely not up to prolonged rough rally use. The first few rallies I used Konis simply because its what I had, at the end of long rough stages the car would be hard to control over rough sections, it would bounce like crazy. I put some rally valved bilsteins on the car and the difference was night and day over the same exact stages later that year, I could push so much harder and the car didn't bounce, buck or loose composure, it was an epiphany.

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB

Postby SalemSaab » Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Crazyswede wrote:my 85 900 notchback has Bilstein HD's and Jamex springs. It is a very harsh ride but it corners wonderfully. Its a lot of fun to push all 8 valves of fury around interstate on ramps :lol:

This is my experience (with Lesjofors springs).
Definately too harsh for city driving. Stuff pops off my dash when I hit bumps / tracks. I drive like a drunk trying to dodge utility holes .. crosswalk paint feels like speedbumps.
Smooth as silk on the highways and handles great though.
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

mrazekan
Nickname: gusano

Postby mrazekan » Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 am

Luke wrote:The Konis are fine and quite well suited for the street and autoX etc. They are definitely not up to prolonged rough rally use. The first few rallies I used Konis simply because its what I had, at the end of long rough stages the car would be hard to control over rough sections, it would bounce like crazy. I put some rally valved bilsteins on the car and the difference was night and day over the same exact stages later that year, I could push so much harder and the car didn't bounce, buck or loose composure, it was an epiphany.

Likely a heat management issue right? If you look at some of the off road racing shocks, the main bodies, as well as other parts of the shocks, have heat sinks. Do the bilsteins run more oil, bigger bodies? Is the rally valving actually lower damping to generate less heat and therefore provide more consistent damping for a longer amount of time?

I have the koni reds on my spg with TSS springs. I havn't played with them yet but the ride is planted though a bit harsh. I have the fronts on full soft and the rears on medium with 1 coil disabled due to rubbing. I'm looking at cutting and re welding an axle to make it shorter or even introduce a bit of camber.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”