Factory inner fender strengthening kit

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby GRMPer » Fri May 25, 2007 5:36 pm

Ok, that definitely looks like a "when the engine is out and Per is being anal about painting the engine compartment/forward portions of rollcage and reinforcing subframe." kind of job.

I went ahead and unbolted the R lower control arm and fixed the rust near there (kind of near the tunnel for the tie rod.) and put everything back together. I'll wait for Luke's plates before I pull everything apart.

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Fri May 25, 2007 5:46 pm

hmm thats neat, mine definitely doesnt have that, what was the issue that made them add those? i assume if your car doesnt have em its not that big of an issue?

Paul

99sven

Support kit

Postby 99sven » Sat May 26, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi,

Gregg here. I love the car and the site. I wish that you guys were running out here on the left coast. My A arms, shocks and crossmembers were are supported on my 99 that was torched this winter. Rob Walden told me that the welded in supports on the engine side of the a arm tower and crossmember and shocks were from a Sport and Rally kit for the 99.

All I know is that the 99 with the boxed a arms and support kit plus roll cage made for the best handling car I have ever driven. It was rock solid cruising on the road and in the gravel. I hope to get my 900 a bit close to the same road feel.

Geoff is correct. Bo built the car and sold it to me in '96. I added a FMIC blow off valve, 2.1 head, etc. etc. and Stinger standalone ECU. Gawd I miss the car!!!

Here is the pictures of the sad end:

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/A-lot ... p-in-Smoke

Here are details of the build up:

http://www.saabclubseattle.org/GCronn.html

I am slowly building up the 88 900 but it is not nearly as much fun to drive. Not going to build up a 99 however. Too much work, harder to find parts and my nearly 50 year old body really likes the cruise, sunroof and quiet passenger compartment.

Keep up the good work. I love the work you are doing on the 99 Luke.
Gregg Cronn

SAABMaven

Postby SAABMaven » Sun May 27, 2007 7:02 am

Geoff wrote:
Rallyho wrote:Yeah, what Gee-off said...that's what I did...just the redneck way. :)

Is there any other way of building a rally SAAB in the US? :D

Sure, just get corporate saab to give you a works car. ;)

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun May 27, 2007 10:15 am

I think you should print out flyer's of your car showing a before and after picture...laminate them so as to make them waterproof....then go back to the area of Canada that you were in. Post them all around. The flyers would say something like "to those that did this....we are hunting you down...you are going to die a horrible death".
I am the 73%

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Sun May 27, 2007 5:00 pm

Gregg, its nice to see you on here. It's a shame that both of our 1980's that started out near identical and almost perfect are both trashed.

I know you are set on a 900, but we have a few good 99's around here if you change your mind. Good to see you building another car!

Quinn

99sven

99 weld kit

Postby 99sven » Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Building up the 900 is starting feel like fun. I wasn't psyched to dive into another project after what happened. This summer I will put in the downpipe and external wastegate salvaged from the 99 plus a new standalone. The car engine is quite strong for a stock engine with 140k. I don't want to run crazy boost, just get electronic timing going to make the power band smoother and more low end.

Sorry a counldn't make it to your place for the picnic Quinn. I had soccer duty with my daughter up until a few weeks ago. Sounds like it was fun. BTW, my buddy wrecked his fire engine lime 99 a few years ago. It was a four door. We must have got a lot of them that color here in the NW.
Gregg Cronn

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Tue May 29, 2007 7:27 am

Interesting thread I started over at saabcentral:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=102204

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:30 pm

Here is a copy of a page of the original FIA homologation papers for the 99. That kit is included but it was crossed out for some reason. Either because the kit became factory installed or because it became illegal for some reason.

99sven

Per, how thick are those pieces??

Postby 99sven » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:49 pm

I am going to have the engine out next week. Going to replace the rack, new a-arm bushes and mount up my plated lower a-arms. I wanted to weld in the supports along the lower longitudinal beams and weld in some support down the edge of the Shock tower. (That is what the long narrow pieces with the two bolt holes are for ). Just needed to know how thick the remnants are that I pick up from the steel company.
Gregg Cronn

99sven

Per, how thick are those pieces??

Postby 99sven » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Have been working on the 900. Made two cuts in the 3' downpipe with ext. wg that was in my 99 and rewelded to fit the 900. Went 3 inches all the way back to the muffler. I am so glad I have learned to weld. Man what a difference. Can't wait to get in the standalone later this summer so I can enjoy electronic timing again.
Gregg Cronn

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:36 am

In terms of the thickness of the strenthening bits the ones I have seen look fairly thin. I'd say 16 gauge maybe. I'd say go with 1/8" maximum. The only problem with going thicker is it cuts down the alignment adjustability. I have almost no shims at the front and a THICK stack at the back.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:34 am

Yea, that's what it looks like to me...16 gauge....

99sven

thanks

Postby 99sven » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:50 pm

I just bought a piece of 16 gauge. It looks about the right thickness. Any thicker would be unworkable.

My floor pan in the 900 was nearly ruined by a torn shift shaft boot. Welded in some replacement pieces for the holes. When I went to order a replacement firewall boot I was told that they are discontinued. That really pisses me off. You should be able to get wear items for a car with so many still on the road. Craig at ScanWest told me that Saab USA is discontinuing many parts for the c900. ON the plus side it will make it even cheaper to purchase parts cars in the future. Only fanatics will keep a car around when their are no parts at the dealer.
Gregg Cronn

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:35 pm

I don't know how things are up there in Bellingham, but around Gig Harbor parts 900's are usually free. :)

I am excited to hear people will be paying us to take them in the future! :)

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”