Lifter buckets: re-use or replace?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Lifter buckets: re-use or replace?

Postby Mezzanine » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:52 pm

How much wear is acceptable on lifter buckets? Do you guys just re-use them? Replacements are available at $30-something each, but I wasn't sure if it is necessary. The attached photo is an example of what I have. The tops are nice an smooth- you can't feel any scratches with your fingernail. The sides have a few marks that you can just feel, but really nice otherwise. I'm working on a N/A build that will see somewhere between 7k-7.5k rpms.
Attachments
image.jpg

squaab99t

Re: Lifter buckets: re-use or replace?

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Mezzanine wrote:How much wear is acceptable on lifter buckets? Do you guys just re-use them? Replacements are available at $30-something each, but I wasn't sure if it is necessary. The attached photo is an example of what I have. The tops are nice an smooth- you can't feel any scratches with your fingernail. The sides have a few marks that you can just feel, but really nice otherwise. I'm working on a N/A build that will see somewhere between 7k-7.5k rpms.

16 * $30 is some coin. Rob Walden would call those oil galleries. IMO the real difference is cleaning out the hydraulic plunger part. Have you popped out the piston and clean the inside of the bucket?
Getting them out is an experience. Smack the open side against some soft wood and they pop out. repeat if they did not...

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:05 pm

I didn't know they came apart.

I never replace them unless they are clattery, and I replace with used ones. Those look fine to me.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm

I just see if there is movement in the plunger. Bad ones are rock hard. Also I noticed the replacement ones and ones that come in later cars have slightly shorter skirts and no baffling(?) probably for lighter weight. I sometimes use a magnet on a stick to exercise the pump in kerosene and then soak them in fresh oil if they look cruded up..

Mezzanine

Postby Mezzanine » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:07 am

Jordan wrote:I just see if there is movement in the plunger. Bad ones are rock hard. Also I noticed the replacement ones and ones that come in later cars have slightly shorter skirts and no baffling(?) probably for lighter weight. I sometimes use a magnet on a stick to exercise the pump in kerosene and then soak them in fresh oil if they look cruded up..

The T7 buckets do have a shorter skirt and the "piston" is a smaller diameter to suit the 5mm valve stems in the T7 head. They weigh less, but I don't remember off hand how much... I think it was 1-2 grams. :thumbsup: I'll verify when I get home in a few days.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”