c900 suspension bolts

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

c900 suspension bolts

Postby jdwertz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:12 am

Does anyone have a list or spreadsheet of bolt sizes and pitch for the suspension on a c900? If not I can measure when I get them all off. I would like to replace with SS hardware.

thanks in advance

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Re: c900 suspension bolts' dimensions

Postby Jon1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:07 am

jdwertz, I do NOT have such a list, but I would appreciate a copy of your list once complete.
thanks,
Jon
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Re: c900 suspension bolts

Postby DrewP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Do NOT use stainless fasteners for critical structural joints - stainless is very bad at handling cyclic fatigue loading, it's very prone to cracking.

High quality yellow zinc chromate bolts with a misting of some corrosion prevention compound will go a long way.

I think I had some notes in my build thread for the yellow race car what sizes and pitches went where, but some of the suspension on pre-'74 99's is different from the hardware on 900's.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Price

Postby Price » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Also, in general, stainless steel bolts are around half the strength as Grade 8 imperial, or 10.9 metric fasteners.

There are a few MS and NAS bolts that are a286 stainless that are stronger, but they are somewhat hard to find and expensive.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Glad some of the other engineers spoke up before I had the chance. ;)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies all. I will either have my current bolts replated or purchase some high grade bolts.

Glad I payed attention in my materials engineering classes...though I am a computer engineer by trade so you have to give me a little slack :thumbsup:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah. Usually the stainless fasteners you can readily get are 18-8, which are only moderately good at corrosion resistance and shit for yield strength and fatigue. It's possible to get stuff made from forged 316 bar stock, but it's $$$$$ and still not as good as the alloy steel stuff.

As far as grade goes, the higher up you go in grade you get more ultimate strength at the expense of them being more brittle. Lower grade bolts bend rather than break. For shock loaded use (like suspension parts) grade 8 imperial or 10.9 metric is about the magic ticket that's plenty strong but not too brittle. Realistically metric 8.8 is plenty for almost any automotive use that isn't cylinder head bolts, or main or rod bearing caps in the engine.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:33 pm

DrewP wrote:Yeah. Usually the stainless fasteners you can readily get are 18-8, which are only moderately good at corrosion resistance and shit for yield strength and fatigue. It's possible to get stuff made from forged 316 bar stock, but it's $$$$$ and still not as good as the alloy steel stuff.

As far as grade goes, the higher up you go in grade you get more ultimate strength at the expense of them being more brittle. Lower grade bolts bend rather than break. For shock loaded use (like suspension parts) grade 8 imperial or 10.9 metric is about the magic ticket that's plenty strong but not too brittle. Realistically metric 8.8 is plenty for almost any automotive use that isn't cylinder head bolts, or main or rod bearing caps in the engine.

I'd stick to 8.8 for all safety related. There can be issues with Hydrogen embrittlement with 10.9
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:39 pm

I use CAD plated AN airframe bolts for most suspension hardware. Ball joint bolts are AN7

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”