h motor distrib. connector

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

h motor distrib. connector

Postby saabfan9 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:53 pm

ok guys here's the story i was given a 1984 900 s turbo rust free texas car the po had started the pull the motor down to replace the head gasket well i see the connector for the distributor is broken and there are 3 wires with aftermarket ends spliced on that would plug into the dist but because they are 3 loose wires i'm not sure what order they would plug into ...any color combo's or pics would be helpful ... i also did a number on the ps bracket while doing a little prying so if anyone has a spare to donate to a good cause pm

saabfan9

Re: h motor distrib. connector

Postby saabfan9 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:39 am

cool find.. while working the junkyard looking for a part for the 9-3 found a complete c900 spg body kit and wheels but more importantly an h-distributor (and connector) got some spare fuel lines and ps pump bracket as well ...you guys may say no biggie but around here I couldn't tell you the last c900 I saw in this yard (may be a few more years before and if I see another) ... I should have this car running by the weekend

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 am

Nice!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:04 pm

anyone interested in the body kit i didn't study it but it looked complete

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 am

saabfan9 wrote:cool find.. while working the junkyard looking for a part for the 9-3 found a complete c900 spg body kit and wheels but more importantly an h-distributor (and connector) got some spare fuel lines and ps pump bracket as well ...you guys may say no biggie but around here I couldn't tell you the last c900 I saw in this yard (may be a few more years before and if I see another) ... I should have this car running by the weekend

you should go back and pull as many of the bolts and small brackets off of the engine and transmission that you can. The hardware can be cleaned up and replated and you will be hard pressed to find anything as good quality for the junkyard prices.
I am the 73%

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:35 pm

i will make another trip out thanks for the heads up...... on a different note same POS i now get spark but no fuel up to the distributor or fuel filter, now the car has sat in a barn for the last 10 years i put fresh gas in and believe i hear the pump run is there anything obvious to check or purge before i start going crazy with this (work has hinted to do something about the car and mama don't know about the car yet... so i'm parking lot bound for right now)

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:24 pm

saabfan9 wrote:i will make another trip out thanks for the heads up...... on a different note same POS i now get spark but no fuel up to the distributor or fuel filter, now the car has sat in a barn for the last 10 years i put fresh gas in and believe i hear the pump run is there anything obvious to check or purge before i start going crazy with this (work has hinted to do something about the car and mama don't know about the car yet... so i'm parking lot bound for right now)

when you say no fuel to the distributor...does this mean you have unbolted the supply line to the fuel filter and none is coming out? I would make sure there is actually fuel in the tank. have you had the fuel pump out recently? is there a chance you put the wires back on backwards...this would cause the pump to spin backwards and not pump
I am the 73%

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:30 pm

i opened the line to the fuel filter while key on and cranking no fuel out of line .... i have not messed with the tank or pump ... gauge reads empty i asked one of our porters to dump some gas in it i dee not watch him put gas in i was assuming (i know) that maybe the gauge was dead...maybe i should make sure gas goes in ... after that anything else i could check?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:04 pm

make sure there is gas in the tank, then pop the inspection cover out of the trunk and have someone turn on the igntion...listen/feel to see if the pump runs. Next you can try jumping power and ground directly to the pump from a spare battery or booster pack. If the pump runs...and there is fuel in the tank...check to see if it is coming out of the supply line up front.
I am the 73%

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 pm

cool there is an access panel in the trunk area? (sorry guys it's been at least a good 10 years since my last c900 and that was a 1990) this car is rock solid rust free and I would really like to save her but now with 5 cars and 4 kids and work slowing down I can't just start throwing money at this one

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm

**update... been working on this no fuel issue..well with some work i'm able to get the fuel pump to work now I had to drain the tank you could smell that old gas from across the parking lot (sitting 10 years in a barn) I got fuel to the filter and up into the engine compartment I blew the line off of the warm up regulator while cranking then discovered two broken fuel lines patched all those up for now (all very ugly) but pulling the plugs they are bone dry if I throw some starting fluid in the holes and put the plugs in she almost kicks .... anyway no fuel out of my injectors, any tips on cleaning them? I plan on pulling them out tomorrow assuming they are all varnished and plugged

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 pm

if it wasn't that the car is so clean body wise (gas door-wheel arches-doors) turbo 5 spd flat nose (clear coat peeling-tan interior is toast) i'm really hoping to save this one...thanks for all the help as always guys

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:10 pm

It might be that valves in the end of the fuel injectors may be stuck. Someone on this site had a CIS fuel injector cleaning tool. The other thing you could do would be to pull them out and find someone with a ultrasonic cleaner. Or you could replace the injectors.

The injectors need high fuel pressure to open but if you blew the line off the WUR it sounds like you've got pressure. If the patches in the fuel lines leak then you may be loosing enough pressure that the injectors don't open but I'd think you'd see fuel on the plugs that are attached to non-cracked lines. Just for reference: I know people have replaced their plastic injector lines with slightly thinner plastic lines and had running problems because the lines would flex and pulse causing the valve in the injector to open and close.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 pm

If you jump 12v to the pump so that it runs continuously and you pull the injectors out of the intake (carefuly so as not break the lines)...you can remove the air intake boot from the fuel distributor...aim the injectors into a bucket and lift up on the air metering plate when you lift on the air plate you should see fuel flow. Sometimes those plates get sticky and won't pop up when you are cranking.
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:13 pm

^^^ That. You'll also be able to easily see if any or all of the injectors are acting up.

You should see a smooth, uniform, conical atomization from all the injectors. If they spray off to one side, or you get little pin pricks of squirty fuel, or dribbles or anything like that they need cleaned.

I've had good luck running a fuel pump out of a 1-gal coolant bottle or similar with like 2 bottles of injector cleaner and the rest gasoline to flush out the injectors.

While you have them spraying you can rap on the sides of the injectors down near the nozzles with the plastic handle of a screwdriver or something to knock the little bits loose and clear them out too. It only takes 30-45 mins and can make a big difference if they're clogged up a little.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”