Primary Case Oil Catch

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Primary Case Oil Catch

Postby jdwertz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:21 am

While my engine was out I decided to change some seeping seals. I opened up my primary case to find this:

I believe this to be some sort of oil catch? Can someone please enlighten me on its function and importance?

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Primary Case Oil Catch

Postby Jordan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:40 am

Yeah , catches the oil and drains it back onto the intermediary gear. I'd guess your chains are too big/too loose or you have some sort of not stock gear combo?

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:53 am

Jordan wrote:Yeah , catches the oil and drains it back onto the intermediary gear. I'd guess your chains are too big/too loose or you have some sort of not stock gear combo?

My bet is the chains are too loose. This engine/trans was rebuilt two owners ago by an unknown mechanic so I really have no clue what is in there besides the case plates that designates type 7 primaries.

The whole engine had silicon sealant used so that probably speaks for the quality of the rest of the build. The chains had a decent amount of side to side motion in them and for $60 it is a no brainer to just replace them.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:00 am

I don't see the tensioner available anywhere, is that an item that normally should be replaced as well?

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:10 am

I successfully made a set of chains for mine. I purchased a length of chain, and master links. After a season of street driving, 2 hillclimbs, an autox, and rallyx, I have had no issues with it.

If you are interested I can see about finding the chain purchase info.

I used the 30/30 primaries, and had to modify my oil catch to keep it from shredding. With the bigger sprockets, the chain was rather close to the catch.

If you browse thru my 86 900 Street/Track project thread, there is some info on the project.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:27 am

SwedeSport wrote:I successfully made a set of chains for mine. I purchased a length of chain, and master links. After a season of street driving, 2 hillclimbs, an autox, and rallyx, I have had no issues with it.

If you are interested I can see about finding the chain purchase info.

I used the 30/30 primaries, and had to modify my oil catch to keep it from shredding. With the bigger sprockets, the chain was rather close to the catch.

If you browse thru my 86 900 Street/Track project thread, there is some info on the project.

Thanks for the tip. At this point I probably will just get the endless chains from eeuro.

I can't decide if this is worth doing at this point. I am in a bit of a hurry to get this car out of my friends garage as I have been taking up space for too long. The transmission has always been a bit noisy and now I think I know why. If the oil catch has been broken this long who know the kind of damage that has already been caused to other vital components. I may just button it up and run it until I get a new engine/trans together.

If I do replace the chains, then I am going to want to replace the roller bearing behind it which will need a special tool to press out (probably could make this). And I would need to wait for eeuro to get them in stock, so on and so forth. Causing more delay getting my car out of his way.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I used to work at an independent SAAB repair shop back in 1998. We would typically get a car in for a transmission rebuild once every week or so. I would pull them out and start to tear them down and my boss would rebuild them. We saw a lot of cars with that same issue. He never replaced the busted/missing oil catches. He was a SAAB-trained Master Tech for what that's worth. :dunno:

Of course there were a few rebuilds that came out of that shop with humming pinions...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Jason:
If you can get that chain and master link info I'd appreciate it. I have an application where the stock chains might not fit.
Do you have any information on the technical specs of the chain? (interested if the fatigue strength is as good or better than the stock chains)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Geoff wrote:Jason:
If you can get that chain and master link info I'd appreciate it. I have an application where the stock chains might not fit.
Do you have any information on the technical specs of the chain? (interested if the fatigue strength is as good or better than the stock chains)

I will see what I can dig up on that. I just used the clip on style links.

When running the 30 / 30, the chains were painfully close to the pickup. They would hit the scoop when the tensioner swung all the way in its direction. I cut, and narrowed the pickup to gain a little clearance, and used unstretched chains to gain a little more. So far it seems to be working well.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:01 pm

A little squeeze with the SAAB pliers usually gains a little extra clearance.

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Some good information here, thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I have made a decision to as they say, just run it. I can always add the oil catcher later on.

Plus I already filled it back up with 3.1 quarts of Redline Shockproof

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”