Building a 900 rally car...in time for Rally West Virginia

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:20 am

thanks, yea a manual would keep me from asking all of these stupid questions, like...do you adjust the castor with shims on one of these things, or is there somthing that im missing??? i came to saabs via a 9000. i thought that the 9000 was wierd until i started prepin this rally car. truthfully, ive been too busy dealing with the wiring harness and the sticky goo to even look and the suspension, but i dont remember any adjustments in the classical sense. i just "ass-umed" that one would shim the upper a arm mounts inward to increase the negative camber??? not that i will be quick enough for any of this to matter, but, you know...

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:40 am

Yeah you got it right on the alignment. Alignment done with the shims, this is how most all double a-arm cars are done so it will be nothing new to an alignment guy that has any racing experience. Camber is done by adding/removing shims, caster is accomplished by shifting those shims front to back.
I use Hawk HT-10 pads which are designed for a hotter operating range than we use them for but I really like them anyway. I've also heard good things about the porterfield R4 (not the S) I don't know if either of these pads are available for the stock calipers. Edit: I looked and they arent :(

Hans

Postby Hans » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:52 pm

As rule of thumb, 4-5mm of shims will yield a 1-degree change in camber. If you're also lowering the car, you're automatically adding neg. camber, and more toe-in, too.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby matt » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:25 pm

My priorities would be:

reliable motor (which it sounds like you've covered)
skidplate (it protects stuff)
a arms (at least make them tougher)
all wiring that is important (fuel pump etc..)
tires

Stock class will limit what you can modify anyway, so stick to the basics. Make sure the car is 1. safe 2. reliable 3. safe 4. reliable after that you can worry about making it faster.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:38 pm

thanks for the advice, everyone! yeah, i think that the motor will be reliable for us. i hope to have ALL of the wiring dealt with by the end of this weekend. will beef up A arms while it is in the shop on the frame machine getting that prefab cage installed. mudflaps, skidplate, and rally computer havent even been thought about yet...and tires...the clock ticks. maybe i shoud just shoot for the black river stages?!!? but rally wv is within rally car driving distance of here. i really want to get this thing done. i need you guys to keep me motivated. will try to take some pictures this coming week.

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:51 pm

don't plan on driving to the rally, the rally gods don't like that much confidence and will surely strike your car for it.

if you haven't done so, take a look at rallylights.com I've dealt with them multiple times and always had a good experience. Hella FF1000's int he driving beam should still be stupid cheap if you need some lighting. They also have all manner of rally stuff like rally computers and shit.

Get your self together, I think it would totally rock to have another Saab in the rally.
ImageImage

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:42 pm

I think west virginia is still a good target, you can do it! Just focus on the essentials and make a check list. We are here to support all fellow saab rally nuts so posts lots of pics and keep us updated. I find that motivates me at least.

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:46 pm

i once (when i lived in Napa, CA) tried to drive a formula ford from sonoma to sears point upon public roads...but i know what you mean, and it is foolish, but its close and i will have a trailer there to get me back, etc., etc. still havent dealt with any pics but worked on the wiring all day, will be done in short order tomorrow. need a power window motor drive for the left side (yea, it has PWs...i know, i know), but other than that its coming right along.
my AE86 just sold on ebay, so maybe i will be able to pull this off. as for rallylights.com-they will get some of the AE86 money for a terratrip, and other things i am sure. i know Rally WV is going to be a 2 day event this year, but i wasnt really counting on aux. lights yet, but if i need them, i need them?.?.?

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:20 pm

Theres no PLANNED night stages but I would never show up at a rally with out a least two extra lights you can throw on if need be.
Whats your plan for suspension? Do you have some bilstein shocks yet? The stock HD valving is half decent. What about springs? SPG's will work with some spacers under them. And for goodness sake put some thought into the skid plate and don't be afaid to make it heavy.

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:45 pm

thanks to matts tip i just went back to rallylights.com and bought 2 sets of FF1000s, as they seem to be just giving them away, so i guess ill have lights. i also bought a terratrip 202+ for jerimiah while i was at it. as for the suspension...dont know. i was actually counting on stock springs for at least the first event, but not as a permanent solution, of course. as for dampers-i was shying away from the bilsteins. never did like 'em on the old vws i used to go bustin around in. saab people seem to like em a bunch though. i was always more impressed with the KYB gas-adjusts if we are just comparing regular shock to regular shock-and a lot cheaper---but not pretty blue and yellow.

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:56 pm

as for the skid plate i plan to copy your design, if there will be no infringement issues!

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:08 am

I don't think Luke will mind you taking inspiration from his design, as long as you make it badass. As Luke said son't be afraid to make it heavy, weight on the bottom of your car is a good trade off to protect your engine/transmission. Post some pics so we can get an idea what this beast looks like.
ImageImage

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:49 pm

update: autopower cage arrived today! just need to install the clutch and few little odds and ends...still waiting on my seat brackets for the race seats(i know, i could make my own!), and i will drive it down to where the cage will be installed. terratrip and lights should arrive tomorrow or thursday and will work on light bracket ideas. should have the rally computer wired by saturday. promise that i will get the camera out this weekend, although its just an old silver 900 with no interior, or dash at this point. the AE86 was taken away by its new owner eariler, thus ending a bizarre period of my life. i seem to be entering into a new, much more saab filled era. My daily driver(now that the AE86 is gone)is a '90 9000s, and my GF drives a '97 900 SE turbo...and now this damned rally car...

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:55 pm

Just make sure that when the autopower cage is in that the co driver isn't using it as a crotch harness...or at least put a LOT of padding on it :oops:

TRAILINGTHROTTLE

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:01 pm

im not entirely sure that i know what that means?!?!?!?javascript:emoticon(':!:')

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”