S&R Gearset

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
nkro

S&R Gearset

Postby nkro » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:24 am

Hallo

I got some questions about the gearsets.

And yes we have new ones ready.

We ordered 20 sets.

Its new produced easy shift S&R dogbox gearset.
Its the late design, less dogs and wider and stronger gears.
Fia historic legal

The price Is 24500 inc swedish tax

In the end of november Jocke will handle sales through his company.

BR

Niklas Rosenberg
Joakim Törjesson

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Re: S&R Gearset

Postby Jon1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Niklas, is that 24500 SEK (Swedish Krona) or is that Euros?
24500 SEK would be about $3,878.00, correct?
thanks,
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:43 pm

I have to admit I am very slow when it comes to gearboxes.
Questions:
Do these fit in a standard 4 speed 99 case?
Ratios suited for gravel rally? Top speeds per gear if at 6000 rpm using which primary combo and tire size?
4 speeds and reverse?
Helix vs straight cut teeth make it quieter?
Still utilize syncros?
Everyday drivablity?
Does this help with the case flex or the case still flexes, but there is more tooth engagement thus less likely to fail.

Thanks for letting us know and fronting the order. It is a lot of cash, but how often would a 99/900 Saab nut see these for sale?

s900t8v
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby s900t8v » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:20 am

Just beautiful to see!

IF they are like the past S & R sets they're a direct fit for a 4 spd from my understanding...

the gears in the pic are helix cut, dog engagement, no synchros, aka dogbox. a dogbox is street driveable but takes a little getting used to. the issue is that the dogs can wear more rapidly than synchros if not shifted properly... sometimes dogs can be repaired, depending on the treatment of the gears etc

I'm interested about the ratios too and do the kits come with shift forks or does it work with the standard forks? also I assume the mainstack gears have their own custom bearings to suit ?
84 Trionic 5.5 8v Turbo

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 am

If they are like the original S&R gear sets they will be about 60 mph at 8000 rpm in 1st gear and about 95 mph in 4th gear at 8000 rpm. The set in my box has a 30/31 chain ratio and it has the S&R 6:31 Ring and Pinion for a final drive. The nice thing about these sets is that they are a copy of the later dog box with the fewer # of dogs which are a lot easier to shift than the earlier ones.
I am the 73%

DustinS
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby DustinS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

So not that great for a DD/weekend canyon carver. I was looking forward to possibly picking a set up. I may still get one to toss on the shelf for future use.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:39 am

DustinS wrote:So not that great for a DD/weekend canyon carver. I was looking forward to possibly picking a set up. I may still get one to toss on the shelf for future use.

$4000 for the gearset + $1500 for the Ring+pinion. Might as well install a limited slip + $1500. its about $8000 to build one of these boxes up from scratch with all new parts. Its not a gearbox that is going to be a heck of a lot of fun to drive in a daily driver. The shifting is pretty good with the larger dogs but it is still clunky. It should be noted that while these are stronger gears they were designed to be run with high revving high hp non turbo engines. a 300 hp 16v turbo will likely still destroy the gearbox.
I am the 73%

nkro

Postby nkro » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Its the same gearset used in the 16v Turbo Grp A, and 99 turbo.
Its 24500 Sek inc swedish 25% tax.

You can use orginal pinion and change the primary chain.

Niklas

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Haha...ok...ignore my comment about being destroyed by the turbo :yay:
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 pm

I'd say I need to sell a car in order to buy these.... but none of my cars is worth $4k!

Awesome work Niklas and Jocke, hopefully some of them make it over here!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Crazyswede wrote:If they are like the original S&R gear sets they will be about 60 mph at 8000 rpm in 1st gear and about 95 mph in 4th gear at 8000 rpm. The set in my box has a 30/31 chain ratio and it has the S&R 6:31 Ring and Pinion for a final drive. The nice thing about these sets is that they are a copy of the later dog box with the fewer # of dogs which are a lot easier to shift than the earlier ones.

Really only 10 mph difference between one gear to the next?

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm

DrewP wrote:I'd say I need to sell a car in order to buy these.... but none of my cars is worth $4k!

Awesome work Niklas and Jocke, hopefully some of them make it over here!

Sell two or three cars. You will save money in the long run and have a single car to focus the resources on.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:45 pm

squaab99t wrote:Sell two or three cars. You will save money in the long run and have a single car to focus the resources on.

You take that logic somewhere else buddy. This is a SAAB forum.

Seriously though, the value added not spending time changing transmissions every few events would definitely pay for itself in pretty short order.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Couple questions. Given that my knowledge of gearboxes is very lacking....Beyond choosing to add things like a diff or R&P, is there anything in a stock box that also does not work with these? Bearings, shift forks etc.

And the 4 speed case was mentioned, do these also work in a five speed box/case? Beyond this stuff, if anyone thinks of anything else that would be good to know, I'd really like to fully understand what goes into making this stuff all work, and then work well.

Thinking back to the talks about eEuroparts taking on a similar project making competition gear sets, would there be any advantage to those given that I don't have a need for FIA historic legal parts. And is that project still on the horizon?

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Also, the comment on not being suited to turbo power scarred me, and then the response about Grp A turbo cars made me feel better. But, what is the service life expected to be on the dogs? Any other parts that wear? And is there any known power level/usage level that these tend to be reliable at? (I realize thats sometimes a tough question to answer.)

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”