Camshaft Timing

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Camshaft Timing

Postby DrewP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Where do you live? It's still possible to find good used engines for short money most places, and someone here might be able to point you in the right direction.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

TheAlien1980

Postby TheAlien1980 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Other side of the pond: Europe :bawl:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 pm

That should make it even easier. There were more of them sold there... At the very least yours is fixable with some eBay sleuthing and some labor on your part.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

TheAlien1980

Postby TheAlien1980 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 pm

I am not worried about labor on my part. I actually like to work on my car (if it works afterwards :thumbsup: ).
I found a complete engine for 650€ (tranny, head, block), the owner claims that it was running good. I am just waiting for an anser from the owner.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 am

TheAlien1980 wrote:I am not worried about labor on my part. I actually like to work on my car (if it works afterwards :thumbsup: ).
I found a complete engine for 650€ (tranny, head, block), the owner claims that it was running good. I am just waiting for an anser from the owner.

Thats about $1000 USD. Could be a good deal if the transmission is good but it sounds like a healthy chunk of change for a used driveline. While the cars in the USA are getting old it still seems like we have a lot of parts around. Shipping an engine to Europe would be cost prohibitive unfortunately. You could probably just have a machinist take a look at your block and give you a quote for a bore and hone. You could likely just go up one or two ring sizes. While you are in there you could throw some new rod bearings in and do a regasket/reseal. I had a block bored and honed here in the USA and it cost about $250 USD which was on the high side but they did a nice job.
I am the 73%

TheAlien1980

Postby TheAlien1980 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 pm

So this guy does not seem to answer me :ranting: It's not easy to find parts over here. That was a lot easier back in the USA.
But I found this: http://www.elferink.nl/onderdeel.php?Alink=4311022&M=4&O=3&ArtNr=11022

I just had an idea. Is there actually a block that has a trigger wheel on the crankshaft which still fits a classic 900 turbo? So that I don't have to do something like this for T5.5 (only chance to do something like this would be now, since the engine is out):

3a2c_1.jpg
3a2c_1.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

t5.jpg

I "stole" the picture from http://www.saablink.net/forum/performance-modifications-9000/28125.htm. I hope that's ok.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:40 am

TheAlien1980 wrote:I just had an idea. Is there actually a block that has a trigger wheel on the crankshaft which still fits a classic 900 turbo? So that I don't have to do something like this for T5.5 (only chance to do something like this would be now, since the engine is out):

Not that I am aware of. The OEM T5.5 were on transverse engine mounted cars like the 900NG and 9000. The 900c is longitudinal and has the cylinders kicked over at 45 degrees to clear the hood.

Another clue is that people would have used that block to do their 900c to T5 if they could. The trigger wheel for the 900c conversion is involved and usually costs cash for parts to work correctly. And we all know Saab guys would rather save the cash for beer. :dunno:

TheAlien1980

Postby TheAlien1980 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:16 pm

So, I got held up, as usual :huh: . But looking at the bright side, I found a block and head for 200€ from a formerly well runing engine :yay: . I will go and get it this weekend and overhaul the block and keep the head as a spare, since I already have nicely rebuilt head for now.
Downside is, I can only pick it up this weekend and I have only about 1-2 hours to remove all auxillaries and the automatic transmission from the block and head at the owner's place. The engine is already pulled out of the car from which it came from. I have seperated manual transissions a couple times before, but I have never removed an automatic transission. I know that it can be VERY tricky to seperate a manual transission from an engine if there is no working clutch master cylinder connected anymore. I searched the internet for tutorials on how to remove automatic transmissions, but I couldn't find much information. Are there any similar catches, like no hydraulic pressure on the master clutch cylinder on a manual transmission? Anything particularly difficult, that I should know about before removing an automatic transmission? Any good advice? I would apreciate it.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”