rear wheel bearings

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

rear wheel bearings

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:15 pm

I just tightened the rear bearings and the drivers side one took A LOT of torque to get it to stop having play. it still has a little (per bicycle logic) and spins great. I'll see if it gets hot on the freeway next weekend on the way to a rallycross..

I usually replace my rear axles pretty often but lately I haven't hit it on anything. Someone tell me everything is ok and I can go race??

:viking:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: rear wheel bearings

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Are you using the earlier axles with the replaceable tapered bearings (low torque on the nut) or the later 900 axles ('81+?) with the integrated hub/bearing (high torque on the nut)?

About how much torque is a "LOT"?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Geoff,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the axle is the 79-81 variety. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be having these problems?

Passenger side is like 50 lbs and then backed it off and back to about 30. drivers side..... ... a lot.

80?

It spins great!!!

Quinn

SaabsBreakDown

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:41 pm

I used a torque wrench but ended up just blowing by my settings because it wasn't 'good enough'

haha.

torque wrenches are great. My favorite is doing a 99 water pump until the nut breaks off because the torque wrench only works for tightening but nowhere in the literature does it mention that. "Well, at least we know it's on there good!"

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:08 pm

I go through the '82-'87 style too often. Those are much more expensive because you have to replace the whole hub. At least with your style you can replace the bearings for relatively cheap $. I'd replace the bearings if you can. If you had to torque them a lot they're probably quite worn and will probably loosen up again pretty quickly.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”