Saab classic 900 trionic conversions anyone?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Saab classic 900 trionic conversions anyone?

Postby DeLorean » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:06 pm

I always try to get unusual saab stuff listed, I keep seeing 99 9-3's in the junk yard, and started feeling bad when I saw them going away with good trionic stuff still in them... So if anyone's doing a home made truonic conversion... and does not have time to track down or find T5 stuff themselves, well... I have it now!! I have the harness and most of the sensors, etc listed for significantly less than goldwing has JUST the used harness for, so I think it's pretty fair -

http://www.epartsland.com/products/copy ... ensors-etc

the 99 9-3 harness in my opinion is the nicest OE T5 harness. the NG-900's have the pigtails that turn brittle and crank, but in 99 they got a flexible protective sheath that runs from the harness to the connectors, and they don't get brittle and crank like the NG-900 ones do.
Less brake more gas!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Saab classic 900 trionic conversions anyone?

Postby DrewP » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Awesome.

I get my Xmas bonus today, definitely worth the money to not have to track everything down myself.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:44 pm

First, thanks for call out, my email is jordanP at eeuro though

I don't know if I'd call it a conversion kit, since you really aren't selling anything that actually directly "converts" in that package, you're just selling a harness from another car and some sensors...BUT, that would be semantics. It doesn't exactly "fit" some of the sensors or the fuel rail on a C900 as you mention but I agree it is a fair price for that stuff.

It would be nice to have just a sensor kit w/ DI to direct people to. The biggest expense of the conversion would be having to buy new 4 injectors, an FPR , AIC (the right c900 one) and a red DI. The small, relatively inexpensive sensors are always best to by new IMO just because it rules out the possibility of them being a variable in a poor running behavior of the conversion. But I find them to be pretty reliable for the most part.

The more resources out there the better . I'd be happy to send people your way, because most of the time Goldwing is the primary option. Also you might want to include photos of that harness installed, just so people have an idea of how it gets routed and where things end up.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Since I know what goes into the whole conversion I know this is a significant amount of DIY (why I bought two drop in harnesses from Jordan) but he's right, there is a chance I suppose that someone might interpret this as being more plug and play than it is, though you did a good job pointing out all the things that have to happen to be able to have a running usable car.

That's about what I'd pay for all those parts from a junkyard out here, so it's a good deal for me since I don't have to go pull all the parts myself, and it's the same risk of a DOA sensor as if I had gone to pull everything used myself anyway.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I will make some edits. The potential of having a DOA sensor is there, but... this is an OBD2 harness. If wired correctly, you will have a standard OBD 2 port which you can get the sensor values from, and see if you have a dud.

Jordan, I will put together a "sensor kit" with the correct sensors, as well as the right classic 900 idle control valve if you think there is value to doing this. I can even test these to verify operation before shipping. I will also get some pictures of the "installed" harness, as it sits in my SPG.

I don't think I over-talked anything here, did I? What should I clarify?
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:00 am

No, it really was just the name "conversion kit", vs say like starter kit or something like that. I guess, it is a big undertaking no matter how you slice it.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”