Rear Sag On SPG springs

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Rear Sag On SPG springs

Postby Sam » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 am

Next task on my spg will be doing something about the rear suspension sag. The tire clips the plastic spg wheel arches when carrying 3 or more people. I would just throw sas spacers on but the left side seems lower than the right. perhaps these springs are toast after 185k.

What rear spring will most closely match factory spg ride height? I could really use more height all around as the car has struggled badly the 2 times its been in snow,
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

RobVonSAAB
Nickname: Rob
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Rear Sag On SPG springs

Postby RobVonSAAB » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:44 pm

BG Lesjofors

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 pm

What size/kind of tires are you running? If you want more height, you could go for an overload coil or the rear SAS spring spacers. I have some front spring spacers in the works also. The Lesjofors are nice. Also , some Bilsteins will increase the spring rate a little, plus add to general enjoyment :)

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm running some junk 15 195/60s that came with the car. They are new but some no-name brand. Like I said, rub is the present issue that I need to be solve. At some point i might put some super aeros on because the tire selection is not great for the 15" spg wheels even though i prefer the classic spg look.

Luke's 89 feels incredibly stiff with the spacers on it but i could probably live with that setup if i had to. At least it won't bottom on driveways, etc. My other cars all have the performance suspensions, so i thought i'd leave this one more mild as it has to deal with potholes in queens.

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Sam, you should also consider relocating the rear axle forward 10mm to help eliminate the rubbing, especially if you are going to run 16" wheels.
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks Jon. Im guessing the ride height affects the angle of the trailing arms which results in the centering issue. I suspect it is compounding the ride height issue by shifting the wheels backward. Am i crazy to keep the original coils with so many miles? My concern is them breaking with the extra preload from spacers. That aside, the addition of the spacers should make the ride height just right. 180k is a lot to ask from a spring!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Replace the springs. C900 springs tend to sag in the rear and sometimes elongate in the front. SPG springs seem to do it less often than other springs, but it still happens. They won't break if you put spacers in, but they probably won't work right.

I like lowering springs with spacers front and rear. Tall and stiff!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Just ordered the SAS spacers. We'll see how i like them on the spg springs. Where do i put them, on the top or the bottom? Assuming the top to keep the weight as low as possible.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Sam wrote:Luke's 89 feels incredibly stiff with the spacers on it but i could probably live with that setup if i had to. At least it won't bottom on driveways, etc. My other cars all have the performance suspensions, so i thought i'd leave this one more mild as it has to deal with potholes in queens.

There is no such thing as too low or too stiff. :lol:

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Jordan wrote:
Sam wrote:Luke's 89 feels incredibly stiff with the spacers on it but i could probably live with that setup if i had to. At least it won't bottom on driveways, etc. My other cars all have the performance suspensions, so i thought i'd leave this one more mild as it has to deal with potholes in queens.

There is no such thing as too low or too stiff. :lol:

My 9-5 is much lower than the 900, but the 900 hits driveways and curbs like no other. I have been losing fog lights like mad with this car. The trade off of the longer longitudinal motor i suppose. I love a good low slung car but its not worth buggering up a perfectly good spg kit.

I high centered on some ice this weekend which was awful. I had to come back to my garage with a pick axe just to get back into my spot because there was 6 inches of ice piled up. This was the first time the spg was out in snow this season and it was terrible. Poor car.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”