Koni Red Adjustable Settings

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Saabina
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Koni Red Adjustable Settings

Postby Saabina » Tue May 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Running SPG springs and 16" Super Aero's w/205/55's. Anyone have a definitive answer on preferred settings for enthusiast non-racing back road driving? Different front-back? Have a similar set-up on two c900t's so lots of work to remove and re-set them. Thanks!

s900t8v
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Koni Red Adjustable Settings

Postby s900t8v » Tue May 13, 2014 7:00 am

Well a softer setting has more positive rebound damping, a firmer setting less.

generally softer on the front and firmer on the rear will provide good road holding for a front wheel drive car.

in reality the koni adjustability always used to be there to compensate for wear - the koni manuals used to say only increase the firmness when damping performance begins to decrease due to age/wear etc.

I think somewhere they say not to go to the hardest setting when new / newish as its hard on the shock absorber.
84 Trionic 5.5 8v Turbo

Saabina
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Saabina » Tue May 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Hey Thanks! for the reply. Had about given up on anyone responding.
FWIW, I started at setting #1 on both front and rear. After a bit of driving, bumped up the rears to setting #2 (of 3) and the fronts to #2 (of 4) on the SPG. On the '93 c900t, #1 on the front and #2 on the rear. Can't tell much difference but I like the #2/#2 set-up better. Reminder: both have SPG springs, SAS spacers in rear and 16" Aero wheels.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue May 13, 2014 6:40 pm

I think when I installed mine I left them both full soft and was so happy with the ride and performance and behavior over bumps that I never bothered to pull them back out.

Or maybe they are both in the middle. I never felt the need to mess with it.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Chouan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Chouan » Wed May 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I had a 9000 Aero with Konis and the rears were set to one notch firmer then the front. I never touched them again because the ride was so good. It made the 9000 feel more like a 900.

I have a set of Konis for my 99 hot rod project. 99 fronts, 900 rears. Thats a way away though.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”