driveability issues

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

driveability issues

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:42 pm

need help (again) guys..... 1973 ems D-jet

the car breaks up with back fires (intake) starts really bad on light acceleration around 3,000 rpm's if I try anything over 1/2 throttle forget about it. top speed is almost right at 60 mph
this is all under load in the garage in neutral rev's just fine. starts just fine and no pinging
I have the air temp sensor unplugged (seems to run a little better that way)

now when I bought the car it had a pertronix ignition set up in it. I tried to put what I thought was stock points back in. the cam and crank are dead on at TDC. I have never been able to get the timing set where I feel comfortable at TDC the rotor sits between 2 and 1 under the cap I have the dist. 1 tooth off. this is the only way I can get the car to even start much less go down the road (again never pings)
the only adjustment I made was the throttle position sensor because I felt my problem was with the tps (set it by the book and feel 100% on the adjustment)

would like to find a stock distributor for this (because I'm not sure what else to try) are they the same for all years or is the D-jet different because of the computer?... anyone have one to sell on the cheap?

is there something I am doing wrong or overlooking?
why can't I get the timing set?
do not want to start making all kinds of adjustments when even the most basic timing set up is off

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: driveability issues

Postby DrewP » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:25 pm

The D-Jet distributor is different than the later ones, maybe yours has the wrong one? The distributor part numbers by year are in the red factory service manuals if you have one of those to check, or get the number off yours and post it here and we can check.

The D-Jet points are different than the later ones also, make sure you have the right ones. There are like 3-4 different sets that come up on RockAuto if you search for them.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:10 pm

DrewP wrote:The D-Jet distributor is different than the later ones, maybe yours has the wrong one? The distributor part numbers by year are in the red factory service manuals if you have one of those to check, or get the number off yours and post it here and we can check.

The D-Jet points are different than the later ones also, make sure you have the right ones. There are like 3-4 different sets that come up on RockAuto if you search for them.

The djet distributors get very confusing, there are actually two separate "points" on each, there are the ignition points and then the djet trigger points which are below the ignition points and used for timing for the fuel, and both have to be set correctly. Further confusing the matter when ordering spare parts, there are two styles of ignition points used: left opening and right opening. I believe 73 used left and 74 used right, but if its already been swapped to a pertronix that's a moot point now.

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:37 pm

very helpful....anyone happen to have a 1973 distributor that they can part with?

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:54 pm

you can see the line on the housing for tdc...at tdc my rotor points at the clamp that is halfway between 1 & 3 at this setting the timing light reads 30 btdc vac advance unplugged
Attachments
008.JPG
008.JPG (83.82 KiB) Viewed 3941 times

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:55 pm

with cap in place
Attachments
006.JPG
006.JPG (101.48 KiB) Viewed 3941 times

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 pm

another pic
Attachments
007.JPG
007.JPG (103.26 KiB) Viewed 3941 times

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:56 am

does this look like left or right hand points? should the points be open or closed at TDC? looking into the pertronix type aftermarket ignition they do not show a different part number (l or r) and after looking at pictures of Doug's dist. the vacuum advance and wiring are different so you would think it makes a difference right? ..... sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the help

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:59 am

this is a picture of doug's dist. for reference
Attachments
dougs 1973 ems.jpg

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am

I've got the pages from the Bentley manual here...

https://plus.google.com/photos/11666064 ... 6qb8L_YvQE

It sounds to me like a possible MPC sensor issue.

John

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 am

hard to tell from the pics, but It looks like doug has left hand, but it really dosent matter as you have a pertronix already and if its firing off somewhere ~10-30 BTDC then you are getting the spark basically when you need it...

What you want to check on the the injection trigger point which are below the ignition points, where you see the electical connector in your photo, there are two sets of points inside the unit, each set fires injection on 2 cylinders. 1-4, 2-3.

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:43 am

do those need to be timed as well? do I time the injection or ignition? the car starts right up with no ping on accell but: 1-lacks power 2-breaks up on med+ accell 3-flat lines at 60mph (can not get her past 60)

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:49 am

is the mpc the large pod with the vacuum line? not the small 2 wire in the intake .... did I mention I have that unplugged , seems to run better

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:59 am

I'm assuming I have to find a d-jet dist. right? the later ones will not have triggers for the injectors?

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:30 am

hey this talks about "bosch JFUR4 dist." and left hand points ..... is this more common?

http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartD ... 005&s_vid=

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”