circle track 2.1

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Re: circle track 2.1

Postby tirediron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:33 pm

in my situation ive only got to make it 25-50 laps usually.

tire showing cord? good on the left side.....

ive never fragged a trans racing. being non turbo and not shifting probably helps.
-matt

billy bee
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby billy bee » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:20 pm

tirediron wrote:i'm not sure what they mean with the gasket match rule. I would assume that 1/2" is the max depth you can cut into the manifold in the direction of the runner..

I think gasket match means that you can trim the gasket material so it does not impede airflow. In a sense, you can port match the gasket. It sounds like the rules do not, however, allow the removal of any metal.

Overall, my thought on this concerns power/weight ratio rather than the at-the-wheel HP to be competitive. If guys in other cars are making 160, you may need to make more HP as the SAAB is such a heavy (and sturdy) car. I would do some power/weight math. If you have done the math (that I think you might have done), I am curious about the numbers. What do most cars in the class weigh? What do competitive cars weigh?

Lastly, weight makes for a sturdy race car but raises handling and braking issues (in addition to acceleration). Early in my racing career, I watched a lot of SCCA ITB races at Summit Point. The BMW 2002 was very competitive. The early (round taillight) cars were faster than the later (square taillight) cars. The biggest difference between the two were bumpers. Not a lot of weight but enough weight to make a difference...and it was extra weight on the wrong places. That has always impressed me as a subtle difference between cars making a big difference in race results.

bb

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:34 am

surprisingly enough, total weight is not really an issue for me. there is a minimum weight rule and it is adjusted some according to displacement, number of cams and cars using VVT. I would be required to weigh 2250 (with driver). my current 900 with me in it and a full fuel cell was 2225 last time over the scales. I am 180lbs. car is light (for a saab). minimum weight for any car is 2150. so I wouldn't be racing any 1700lb CRXs.

this project is on the back burner anyways. just collecting parts right now.
-matt

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Mon May 09, 2016 9:34 pm

as of recent I've gotten back to this project. less racing this year, more building stuff.

my chassis is mostly done at this point, waiting on this motor. right now I have a 2.1 apart for a re-ring and hone. all stock parts in the bottom end. timing cover is modified for the t5 head. b212 intake manifold is currently with a guy much better at aluminum TIG than I.

ill be using stock camshafts initially. my feeling is to use the 2.1 cams in the t5 head, for no other reason than i figured the turbo cams would naturally have less valve overlap. looking at the camshaft data though, the differences seem negligible.... thoughts?
-matt

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”