Power Steering Rack - Engine In Car

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Power Steering Rack - Engine In Car

Postby hutch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Has anyone ever replaced a steering rack with the engine still in place? I've pulled one out when the engine was removed and it was still sort of pain to maneuver so I can only imagine what its like with the engine installed. I've recently read a few HowTo's and it does not sound like a lot of fun without a lift, Bentley makes it sound doable but I can't imagine its as smooth as they often make things sound.

Back story: the tie rod ends on my notchback are completely busted and seemingly fused to the tie rod themselves as they may well be original from 1985. I had thought about replacing the whole tie rod but it seems to use the proper tool the tie rod end has to be removed, which doesn't seem like its going to happen. And with 190k miles I figured replacing the rack itself probably isn't a terrible idea. I'm just debating whether I want to pull it myself or pay a shop to do it with a lift.

Anyone ever do this, or should I just bite the bullet and pay to have it done?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Power Steering Rack - Engine In Car

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:41 pm

It sucks even with a lift. Probably my least favorite job, mostly because it's covered with grease and it's tough to see and hard to hold onto. But it is doable if you get the front end up high enough. It typically isn't too hard, just sucks. I'd suggest trying harder to get those tie rods off though, maybe a bunch of heat. It sounds like rebuilt rack quality isn't great so if your rack is still good...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:44 pm

it can be done, but is a dirty greasy job. Bring it here sometime and we can bang it out in a couple hours (have a lift)
Less brake more gas!

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:11 pm

I would love to be surprised and hear the shop or myself could just replace the tie rod ends, without a good heat source I don't think I'm going to have much luck by myself. I looked today and could barely see the bolts by the steering column joint due to the road grime so I think it would be a miserable job. I have a good rack and tie rod ends to use, but I'm tempted to keep those in the parts stash as I feel like these may become hard to find in the next 5 or so years for a c900.

Jeff, thanks for the offer, I'd love to take you up on it but I'd be scared driving it up there as is. The drivers side wheel has at least 1/4" or so of side to side play which is why I'm tempted to just get the garage a mile or so away to replace everything assuming its not crazy expensive.

It sounds like this job isn't impossible but one of the few places where it isn't an awful idea to pay a professional to do it to avoid the the pain.

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby tirediron » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:56 pm

if the tie rods are all junk anyways, can't you just cut off the outer, then pull the inner and replace them all?
-matt

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:04 pm

Hmm thats a great idea, I hadn't thought about that. I may still have a shop do it so they can align it afterwards but thats probably a whole lot easier (and cheaper).

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”