Classic SAAB 900 Crank Scraper /Windage Tray

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Freecirc
Nickname: RobDoggo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Classic SAAB 900 Crank Scraper /Windage Tray

Postby Freecirc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Hey SAABers!

I am planning on a slammin' Engine rebuild, and part of the fun, of course, is sourcing all the go-fast bits for the build.

This go-around, I'd like to add a crank-scraper/windage tray to the bottom end of the motor to aid in keeping the crank balanced under high rpm, for engine spool-up, and to lighten it a bit from all the stuck oil. Also, it may help with hill-climbs as it may keep the majority of the oil mass in place and accessible to the oil pickup tube in tight, fast cornering.

In short, I am looking for one of these old-school pieces of performance metal. Does anyone have the facility to make a good one for the c900, or knows of a source I can call on?

Thanks in Advance fellow SAABers!

-Rob
~Ash~ 1989 SPG

Freecirc

Re: Classic SAAB 900 Crank Scraper /Windage Tray

Postby Freecirc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:32 am

No one has heard or attempted a crank scraper for a C900? Dang. I was hoping I'd hear from one of you Super SAABers!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:39 am

I've seen aluminum baffles welded into the transmission to keep the sloshing down, but that is about it.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Yeah. The C900 rotating assembly parts are so god awful heavy already that I think the gains there just never seemed worthwhile.

You could probably pretty easily modify something off the shelf meant for a Chevy from Jeg's or Summit tho, the principle is the same, just the sizing.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Given the mass of the crank, rods, pistons, and flywheel in stock form I think there are a lot of other easy opportunities for reducing weight and improving engine revving before going down the fancy machine work path. A stock flywheel is 20 lbs and can be swapped out for an aluminum one in the 7 lb range for $300 or $400.
I am the 73%

Freecirc

Postby Freecirc » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts guys, but...

I actually already have lightened flywheel that I will be using, new (lighter) Wossner pistons, and (much lighter) pauter connecting rods, thus lightening the rotating mass by quite a bit. I want to continue to do as much as I can to lighten and balance the rotating mass with a crank scraper, but buying a scraper meant for another car/engine may just be a waste since many retailers don't include all the dimensions, and really, I'd need to know that it fits, because I don't know the dimensions of the 900 crank as it rotates through the oil sump well enough to buy something else and know that it fits. SO, the only original piece on this engine will be the crank, just because it's such a tough and metallurgically fantastic piece.

Any other thoughts or usable guidance?
Im not sure where else to look other than hiring a fabricator to make me one from scratch.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Freecirc wrote:Thanks for all of your thoughts guys, but...

I actually already have lightened flywheel that I will be using, new (lighter) Wossner pistons, and (much lighter) pauter connecting rods, thus lightening the rotating mass by quite a bit. I want to continue to do as much as I can to lighten and balance the rotating mass with a crank scraper, but buying a scraper meant for another car/engine may just be a waste since many retailers don't include all the dimensions, and really, I'd need to know that it fits, because I don't know the dimensions of the 900 crank as it rotates through the oil sump well enough to buy something else and know that it fits. SO, the only original piece on this engine will be the crank, just because it's such a tough and metallurgically fantastic piece.

Any other thoughts or usable guidance?
Im not sure where else to look other than hiring a fabricator to make me one from scratch.

Fabricator is likely the route you will have to take. Very few off the shelf performance parts available for Saabs and even fewer specialty items.
I am the 73%

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:14 pm

I quickly found this by googling scrapers for a triumph engine since they are cousins of the b202:

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Triumph_TR7.html

Might want to send them an email since they talk about one that fits the Saab block.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:24 pm

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/What%20is ... raper.html

some good overview info on that page. It would be nice to see a stock engine vs a stock engine with a scraper to see if there was a measurable difference.
I am the 73%

Freecirc

Postby Freecirc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Hutch and Crazyswede!

Thank you so much. I feel much more edumicated now on this excellent Technology, and I called and left a message for Crankscrapers.com to see if they could fab up a windage tray/crank scraper for my 900 build. I hope I hear back from them soon! The triumph tray seems quite reasonable price-wise, so I am hoping that the SAAB variation wont be too much more...

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Keep in mind that the design can't increase the thickness of the bottom flange much because that would effect the input shaft alignment at the clutch...
Definitely let us know what that company says!

Freecirc

Postby Freecirc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Ha HAAAA!!!

-Excellent news! I was able to buy a crank scraper (not a windage tray, but that's ok) from crank-scrapers.com! He actually had the designs already in stock, just didn't have a link up on his page, and only $59 too! I cant wait to see how this will help in "spirited driving" situations (That's gonna be almost every day for me, once I get this motor together).

The reason that no easily pre-made windage tray was available was due to the thickness of the metal gasket inbetween the block and the trans. The metal is so thin there, and there is aversion to drilling and tapping new holes in the block, that a windage tray option was not available. However, the crank-scraper bolts right up to the main bearing caps (and provides a little windage relief there), so it's a non issue with input shaft alignment. I was asked to take a picture of the scraper when it is installed and send it back (which wont be for some time, yet) and I will post it here too, if there is interest.

Thanks again for your help, Guys!!!

peace,
Rob
&
"Ash" 1989 SPG

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Cool, definitely put up a photo when you get it.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Freecirc

Postby Freecirc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm

DrewP wrote:Cool, definitely put up a photo when you get it.

Roger that, Chief

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”