K&N Inner fender air cleaner dimensions?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

K&N Inner fender air cleaner dimensions?

Postby DeLorean » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:53 pm

I have an issue with the 88 900, where my first lap is ALWAYS faster than my second lap. I am fairly sure this is all heat related. I still have a cone air filter IN the engine bay and a fairly small intercooler (though it IS front mounted - most of it is behind the bumper still)

I want to at minimum get the air cleaner out of the engine bay (it's basically behind the radiator now) and into the inner fender area where the air should be a lot cooler. I have seen several folks whom have ditched the APC / ignition module (as I have done) and moved their air cleaner into this area. I can easily get a nice 2" hole saw and pop a hole into this area but does anyone have a K&N or other air filter part number handy that is a sure-fire good fit and is nice and large?
Less brake more gas!

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: K&N Inner fender air cleaner dimensions?

Postby squaab99t » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 pm

DeLorean wrote:I have an issue with the 88 900, where my first lap is ALWAYS faster than my second lap. I am fairly sure this is all heat related. I still have a cone air filter IN the engine bay and a fairly small intercooler (though it IS front mounted - most of it is behind the bumper still)

I want to at minimum get the air cleaner out of the engine bay (it's basically behind the radiator now) and into the inner fender area where the air should be a lot cooler. I have seen several folks whom have ditched the APC / ignition module (as I have done) and moved their air cleaner into this area. I can easily get a nice 2" hole saw and pop a hole into this area but does anyone have a K&N or other air filter part number handy that is a sure-fire good fit and is nice and large?

Not a K&N but an ITG. It is multi layer foam in lieu on pleated cotton.
JC60/73
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3431- ... -kits.aspx
IMG_5779 (Custom).JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

I use 3" Silicone flex brake ducting (orange tubing) for the intake plumbing.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”