Interesting Wilwood issue

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Interesting Wilwood issue

Postby paulh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:36 pm

So, doing my post race inspection of the 99, I found this:

Looks like the sleeve that the long allen bolt goes through (seems like it's called a bridge bolt?) came in contact with the caliper and got all chewed up. This is only on the driver side of the car, no noticeable play in the wheel bearing or anything like that. I'm figuring that maybe when we enlarged the mounting holes in the calipers they weren't exactly right and now that caliper is sitting slightly too close, the other side looks to have enough, but still not a lot of clearance.

So the question is, does that bolt even do anything? Should I just clean it up and stick it back in there and hope for the best? :crazy:

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Interesting Wilwood issue

Postby Jordan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 pm

I think it adds rigidity to the two halfs and also keeps the pad clips in place!

I'm sure you can find a replacement hardware kit cheap.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Rigidity maybe, but the clip is completely independent of the bolt, as far as I can tell the pads will stay there without it. Probably should just buy a new sleeve, and hope it doesn't happen again.

Paul

Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Mezzanine » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:15 am

No big deal. The sleeve on my calipers is a tiny bit loose on the bolt, so if it was close to the rotor I could just pull it away when I tightened it up. I've found that rotor diameter shifts a good deal from one manufacturer to the next. Any chance you have different rotors on each side of the car?

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Thats entirely possible, I seem to remember these being from rockauto, and perhaps being two different rotors even though they were both in beck arnley boxes. I'm just gonna crank it down clear of the rotor and hope for the best, worst case it gets a little more chewed up by the rotor and I have to buy a new sleeve.

Paul

Saabguy70
Nickname: Intheditch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Saabguy70 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:09 pm

So I have 78 99 turbo and currently have 84 Saab 900 brakes on it right now, I like to which to the wilwoods at some point soon.

What needs to be done to the front caliper mounts?

and can I run the brand new solid rotors that are on the car now?

What is part number for the front Wilwood Calipers and where is best place to purchase them !

Thank you!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:05 pm

The clip is seperate, but if you notice the end of the bolt extends to a point where the clip cannot be taken out without unthreading it.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”