Brakes without vac assist

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Brakes without vac assist

Postby jdwertz » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:50 pm

Trying to weigh some braking options for my build. Due to recent ABS failures it is way more expensive to fix my ABS then replace it with something else (old vac assist).

However, I have seen a few builds where folks have ditched the vac assist for Wilwood masters. How does this affect the pedal feel and braking?

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Re: Brakes without vac assist

Postby tirediron » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:49 pm

not sure in a street car, but in a lightened race car there is no issues.
been using a 7/8 bore wildwood master with stock 88+ brakes in a 2300lb car. reasonable pedal travel with good feel and only somewhat increased effort compared to vac assist.
-matt

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:44 am

tirediron wrote:not sure in a street car, but in a lightened race car there is no issues.
been using a 7/8 bore wildwood master with stock 88+ brakes in a 2300lb car. reasonable pedal travel with good feel and only somewhat increased effort compared to vac assist.

Do you have it mounted remotely or fitted where the servo was on the firewall?

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:04 am

made a bracket out of flat stock to bolt to the firewall and welded a pushrod together. it's definitely not astheticly pleasing, but it works. the master i am using is a single resevoir also. clearly not DOT approved, but fine in my application.

my buddy is using the same master in his 93 9000 and it works well in that car also. sheds quite a bit of weight when you ditch the electronic booster and abs block.
-matt

jdwertz

Postby jdwertz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:24 am

Yes that sucker weighs a ton, opens up some engine bay space too.

How do you handle the reservoir for the clutch master? I imagine a small reservoir mounted to the firewall would suffice.

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:00 pm

drilled and tapped a hole in the master and threaded in a nipple for the clutch line.

or you can run a separate resevoir like you said. one out of a ford ranger would work nice and be easy to find.
-matt

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”