Axle issues.

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Axle issues.

Postby paulh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:14 am

So, at weatherly the car was running great, right up until I broke the crap out of the driver side inner driver/tripod bearing, ended up looking like this:

Fixed it saturday night, and on the first dry run on sunday, on the same turn, it did the same thing :ranting:

So i figured it was probably the horrible old stock 99 motor mounts, but i just replaced those with some hockey pucks, and did a test fit of the axle without an inner boot, and with the suspension loaded (seemingly the middle of the travel is when the axle is farthest out?) the tripod is probably 1/4 of the way outside of the inner driver cup, whereas the passenger side is solidly inside the cup at that point.

So what I'm trying to figure out is, what am I doing wrong? So we're all on the same page, this is a 99 with a 16v, but on the stock 99 mounts, so the trans should be in the same place as a normal 99. I'm running the smaller inner drivers, and the axles from the 99, along with 87 vented rotor hubs with the appropriate outer cv joints and the axle shafts that came in the car. The easy thing would be to line up a bunch of early shafts and see if I can find a different one, but unfortunately we really don't have any spare axle shafts on hand except in cars, and I don't feel like randomly taking them apart to check lengths.

Paul

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Axle issues.

Postby squaab99t » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 am

Duplicate post
Last edited by squaab99t on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:40 am

Quaife limited slip diff? Did you put in the dual plungers on the inner drivers?

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:58 am

yeah, both springy plungers are in there
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:02 am

I think you need to find the axles off the later vented brake 900s. The axles are longer than their earlier counterparts. The 87 vented brake hubs have a different offset, and require a different axle.

IIRC, that car was wrecked pretty hard at one (or more than one) point in time. It could be possible that somehow the engine shifted to one side or the body shifted away from the engine, and was not properly straightened????

Attached is a snapshot of the blurb from the Bentley Manual about the axles.
Attachments
20140925_100008.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:10 am

If you post up an axle length measurement I can cross with a few others.

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:24 am

I'll have to pop the outer CV out and measure it, unless you want the whole axle measurement? I'm presuming if I used a later axle I'd have to swap to the later inner drivers too, right? Guess theres no reason not to at this point, but I'm getting tired of swapping that damn thing, have to jack the motor up to do it in a 99. Squaab, the car has a gripper, and has both plungers like it's supposed to.

Paul

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:34 am

in order to measure the axle, you have to take the tripod, and the outer out...

I believe you can also measure the difference at the recess where the boot clamp rides, but it wont be as accurate.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”