Saab 900 steering racks

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Saab 900 steering racks

Postby DeLorean » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:36 am

So do I have to rebuild one of these myself? I can't seem to buy a good one anyplace. Rack number 5 seems to have failed. It's filling up the passenger side steering rack boot with P/S fluid... This rack seemed to be working fine, it's been in the car the whole hill climb season, and it's got about 9000 miles of "normal" driving on it, but yesterday all of a sudden it ran the P/S tank dry, I re-filled, it ran out, and I re-filled it again, then noticed the passenger side boot oozing fluid out, all over the exhaust. Nice.

So... Anyone that actually puts miles on their car have any suggestions for a rack that won't fail a year after it's installed? Some of these sub-standard parts are really starting to get to me. I would pay what ever the cost for an actual NEW rack that would last me a solid 5-10 years, but I think I'd have to go back in time for that? Is this a problem with the cores, the rebuild process, or just crap rubber seals?
Less brake more gas!

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Saab 900 steering racks

Postby jdwertz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:00 am

DeLorean wrote:So do I have to rebuild one of these myself? I can't seem to buy a good one anyplace. Rack number 5 seems to have failed. It's filling up the passenger side steering rack boot with P/S fluid... This rack seemed to be working fine, it's been in the car the whole hill climb season, and it's got about 9000 miles of "normal" driving on it, but yesterday all of a sudden it ran the P/S tank dry, I re-filled, it ran out, and I re-filled it again, then noticed the passenger side boot oozing fluid out, all over the exhaust. Nice.

So... Anyone that actually puts miles on their car have any suggestions for a rack that won't fail a year after it's installed? Some of these sub-standard parts are really starting to get to me. I would pay what ever the cost for an actual NEW rack that would last me a solid 5-10 years, but I think I'd have to go back in time for that? Is this a problem with the cores, the rebuild process, or just crap rubber seals?

Check out JAC Rack. Racks are rebuilt in house, and they are very helpful on the phone.

http://www.jorgenauto.com/

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 am

Where did you get this last rack from? I know the ones sold through eeuro are warrantied for at least a year as rebuilds and are done here in the states.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:44 pm

this one was a rockauto "GM remanufactured" wholesaler closeout, so I owned it when it went into the car...
Less brake more gas!

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:56 am

Delorean, were you using this rack for normal driving, or was it a competition car? I'm seriously in need of one for my 1980 900 and also wondering where to buy to avoid repeating the procedure any less than EVER.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm

I have been looking at the possibility of using a mitsubishi steering rack in a saab. Still working on getting the dimensions to see if its a possibility. The drive behind the idea is that they look fairly similar and you there were several different reduced ratio racks available for various mitsubishi cars.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Just to post what I told Sam over PM:

Well, part of it is luck of the draw, if you get something rebuilt from a marginal core or re-builder, there is no first time guaranty (we do have a 1 year warranty however).

I looked up the inventory stats on that item and last year we sold 30 c900 racks and zero came back as defective so far. The important thing is that they re-sleeve the racks and use quality seals. I also think they pressure test them before they go out. I know that some of the more complicated newer Mercedes racks we've had a few returns because something wasn't put together right, but a c900 rack is pretty simple and we have our private supply of cores and returns that are dedicated to us.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”