Glowing exhaust manifold

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Glowing exhaust manifold

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:I actually brought it up on Saabnet last night for the heck of it and a guy said something similar:

"The first time you see it seems shocking , but that is how hot they run! I remember popping the hood of my 1979 900 turbo and thinking the thing will melt! Most big diesel trucks have a "pyrometer" which measures the exhaust manifold temperature. That high temp is the reason many people leave the engine running awhile after a long pull to cool down. I always marvel at how the gaskets/diaphrams/o-rings survive the temp."

I don't know if I would agree that that's how they normally run, but maybe it's just that it seems more shocking when viewing it in the dark? I'm still concerned that it happens during pretty normal interstate speeds and even non-interstate speeds. Would an intercooler help at all?

intercooler will likely make it worse. The intercooler is going to cool the intake charge thus allowing you to run more boost.
I am the 73%

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm

My crappy n/a 8v has a metal duct directing air from the drivers side over the exhaust manifold, you could try to add something like that and see if it makes a difference?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:59 pm

hutch wrote:My crappy n/a 8v has a metal duct directing air from the drivers side over the exhaust manifold, you could try to add something like that and see if it makes a difference?

That duct was intended to pull heat off of the exhaust for the intake to help the car warm up faster in the winter.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:07 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:"The first time you see it seems shocking , but that is how hot they run! .."

I tend to agree for the most part. The old turbos are pretty sluggish and inefficient, which leads to extra heat. Those early manifolds crack often to (heat + shape). I used to check my '85 (newer, somewhat more efficient turbo than B engines) when I'd get home from work and it was usually glowing real bright. Even on nights when was taking it easy and wasn't jumping it the manifold would glow a little. I've only seen my '97 Aero glow a little bit.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby tirediron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:45 pm

for what it's worth, I have never, ever seen the manifold glow on my 2.1 n/a race car. either on LH or t5.

however my buddies '93 9k n/a race car glows all the time. that's the bastard child LH with direct ignition.

same exhaust between the two. 2.25" to glass pack race muffler.
-matt

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 am

It's definitely more of a turbo thing that happens. The manifolds are so dense that they hold the heat much better too. The MSS header I have on my 99 is almost cool to the touch in 5 or 10 minutes, while the turbo manifolds stay hot for hours.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:51 am

Like this?
Attachments
glow.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:06 pm

I think i might have figured it out. I had heat wrapped the manifold to try to protect he battery that kept melting and the intercooler that I was planning to install on the passenger side. The other day I cut the heat wrap off and ran it hard at night to see if it glowed. It was nice and cool. I think it was a combination of slight mis-timing and heat wrap.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 am

Yeah, heat wrap is insulation so it prevents the manifold from cooling as quickly, therefore keeping the manifold hotter. So if it's close to glowing without being insulated it will really glow when it is.

I never had good luck with that heat wrap, it always stunk when it got hot.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:54 am

Geoff wrote:Yeah, heat wrap is insulation so it prevents the manifold from cooling as quickly, therefore keeping the manifold hotter. So if it's close to glowing without being insulated it will really glow when it is.

I never had good luck with that heat wrap, it always stunk when it got hot.

Heat wrap tends to be good for performance and bad for whatever it is wrapping's longevity. But it tends to be used in a race application where part longevity is not an issue. A better option is ceramic coating.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:58 am

We use it so we don't burn all of our arm hair off when we have to bring a car in to service. Other than that, I think it is counter productive.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:07 am

I wrapped my MSS header. It rusted out within 2 years.

If you drive the car in the wet, wrap is bad... holds moisture.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”