Glowing exhaust manifold

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Glowing exhaust manifold

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:53 am

Pulled off the interstate in the '80 900t last night when engine tone deepened. The exhaust manifold was glowing red hot right around the middle of the manifold. Cat was normal as was everything else. Any tips? I'm thinking either timing or a blockage.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Glowing exhaust manifold

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:55 am

You must have been beating the shit out of it.

I have had mine glowing many times, but it's usually when I am really beating on the car.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:06 am

Ha. I wish. I baby that car. Barely touch the turbo, but cruise at about 75 on the interstate if that counts as beating it. But even creeping it home with no boost, driving the speed limit and stopping twice to let it cool, it was still glowing when I rolled into the driveway.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:17 am

retarded timing or running very rich can do that and make the exhaust note deeper.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:19 am

Is the timing procedure different for the B-engine than the 16v? Just wondering if I timed it correctly in the first place. Also, is there a way to check the timing advance? Maybe my vacuum diaphragm is busted?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:39 am

Never done a B-turbo, but have done a B motor. Timing procedure is usually the same, but the specs are different, distributor advance unplugged and vac line capped. Specs are usually @ some RPM value, so make sure you match those up with what you are looking at.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:57 am

Ok, I'll check the shop manuals - full set came with the car. Man are they handy.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Its probably on the sticker on the inner fender too.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:38 pm

You can check the advance and retard with a handheld vacuum/pressure pump (like a MitiVac, handy for lots of things.)

If you don't have that, you can check the vacuum advance by sucking on the vacuum reference line and plugging the end of it with the tip of your tongue (handy for checking BPV's and the check valve in the 16V C900's vacuum reservoir that sits in the passenger side inner fender) and check the pressure with a bike pump while holding the hose up to the pump fitting.

Do the B20 turbo engines have any centrifugal advance? I've only had D-Jet 99's and the N/A B20 900 EMS, and I'm away from where I can check the service manual, but it should be in there too.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Tried timing it last night - set timing to 20 degrees at 2000 rpm according to the shop manual. Sounds better, slightly lower boost, but exhaust still glows after light interstate driving on a cold night. Not as bright a glow, so it's slightly better, but still glowing. I'll try checking the vac advance next.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:52 pm

If you suspect the exhaust is clogged that badly, you can also either unscrew the O2 sensor or loosen the downpipe flange to let the exhaust leak around the flange on purpose and see if that has any effect after a short 5 minute or so drive. Was thinking back lately how I ID'd clogged cats.

If you get under the car and bang on the muffler and the cat and hear lots of rattly loose bits inside then they may well be plugged up.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Good call. I'll give that a try. I doubt it's a clogged exhaust - performance is great. My wife's 9k aero had a clogged exhaust last year and it lost all boost. It's worth a try though.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Yeah, if it's clogged really badly it'll make low boost and usually misfire.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Light red glowing seemed to be the norm for all of my 16v turbos after running down the interstate for a while even at normal speeds and engine revs. Long ago when I tried running EZK and APC together I did a test run on a local road one night. The car built a ton of boost but didnt seem to do anything with it. When I opened the hood...in the dark...the exhaust manifold was glowing yellow as was the turbo and part of the down pipe. I think the EZK was retarding timing further and further and the turbo was boosting more and more as there was no knock...made 0 power though and I sonn gave up on making those work together.
I am the 73%

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:24 pm

I actually brought it up on Saabnet last night for the heck of it and a guy said something similar:

"The first time you see it seems shocking , but that is how hot they run! I remember popping the hood of my 1979 900 turbo and thinking the thing will melt! Most big diesel trucks have a "pyrometer" which measures the exhaust manifold temperature. That high temp is the reason many people leave the engine running awhile after a long pull to cool down. I always marvel at how the gaskets/diaphrams/o-rings survive the temp."

I don't know if I would agree that that's how they normally run, but maybe it's just that it seems more shocking when viewing it in the dark? I'm still concerned that it happens during pretty normal interstate speeds and even non-interstate speeds. Would an intercooler help at all?

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”