1986 shifter/shifting issue

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Scott
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

1986 shifter/shifting issue

Postby Scott » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi all, my 86 S shifting has gone a little strange. I have noticed this week the pattern of the gears seemed to be shifting slightly, felt in having the shifter move a little to the left while going into 2nd gear. Today it didn't want to go into 5th, and with some gentle maneuvering i was able to get it in, but it felt like more where third gear should be.

It balked in the same way getting into reverse, and i noted the shifter itself can be pushed down an inch or so.

What is going on here? I have been lucky, and my C900 ownership has not included any shifter issues so i have ignored that part of the bentley manual. Any guidance appreciated.
I wish my car had winter mood technology.

tirediron
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Re: 1986 shifter/shifting issue

Postby tirediron » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10 pm

most likely the shifter pivot is worn out or failed. I would pull the trim off and inspect.
-matt

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:31 am

Or the rubber bushing on the selector rod , although the early ones I don't think I've seen fail, the later ones fail all the time.

Scott
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Scott » Fri May 01, 2015 10:31 pm

I gave up and took it to Viking automotive. They found the shifter was toast, which is apparently rare. I begin to wonder if the car was in a wreck long ago. Any who, they replaced it with a used one from a comparable year, so shifting is all well again. All under $100, so I can't complain.
I wish my car had winter mood technology.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sat May 02, 2015 8:54 am

The plastic shifters do break from time to time, they are not a part that lasts forever.
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”