Quaife Installed

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Quaife Installed

Postby Hans » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:02 pm

I finally got my Quaife into my 86 900 notchback. (Thanks to Rob @ Scanwest Autosport, and Dennis for the group buy!). The car is about $1000 shy of being ready for autocrossing again (needs shocks/tires), but, so far, I'm very impressed. The diff is seamless on the street, just like a torsen's supposed to be, and cornering is a whole new ball game (still getting used to having the diff pull the car into a tighter radius with throttle).

One thing I'm noticing: prior to install, the car was set up a bit loose -- good for autox but probably not the safest on the street. What I'm finding with the Quaife in is the car feels a bit more neutral. Is this all in my mind, or can the diff somehow alter vehicle dynamics? The only set-up difference pre- and post-install is I changed the toe somewhat when I put in a new rack at the same time as the diff (eyeballed it to 0*).

Another thing: I'm also now running taller primaries, but I think I'm going to switch back. It's much nicer on the highway but 1st is now a bit too tall. I'm getting 65+ mph in 2nd, though, which is good for some of the faster courses I run on.

Car is currently dead in the water: I broke the heater valve, so it leaks down the firewall in both the engine bay and the cabin! :numbnut icon: Should be running again in a couple days...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:39 pm

You could always put the copper U-bend in the heater hoses until you have time to replace the heater valve.
I am the 73%

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:54 am

Nice to hear it is working well for you. The point and shoot is so sweet. I can't wait to get some better tires to see what she can really do. Are you running ShockProof? Did you set up a cooler too? Give me a shout when your next autoX happens.

Hans

Postby Hans » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:28 am

The heater valve was already leaking so I actually have a replacement valve on deck. Sadly, I've not yet learned to love the r&r -- I've done a few of these and every time come away hating Saabs. :wink:

Dennis -- Yes, have been running the blue-ish green-ish Shockproof since day one on the 4-speed. I bought a steel diff cover from Rob that is already tapped for a cooler, and I have an automatic transmission air cooler on deck; just need to get a fuel pump and some lines. Unfortunately, next *local* (e.g., Everett) autox isn't for awhile. I'll keep you posted. There were a couple Saabs at the last event...

Due to budget constraints, looks like I will likely be buying some Azenis for my Aero rims. Would prefer to get some 15x8 rims/tires to match but I've got other stuff to spend money on...

Hans

Postby Hans » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:39 am

Info re: shimming 10mm ring gear holes to run 8mm bolts on a 4-speed:

Rob @ Scanwest Autosport used sleeves originally used for the 900 Turbo wastegate:

p/n 83 67 864 -- Saab calls it a "turbo sleeve" -- you need ten.

MSRP @ genuinesaab.com's part db is $6.90; you can likely get them cheaper from a turbo re-build vendor.

EDIT: More info on these sleeves: they are machined collars, not cheesy pressed pieces with a seam. The O.D. makes for an interference fit in the diff, and the I.D. is *barely* a slip fit for the ring gear bolts (you have to slightly push the bolts through). It's almost as if Saab made these collars for the application.

BryanHopp
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby BryanHopp » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:02 pm

hmmm so where exactly did you get that LSD...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:08 pm

They did a group buy on the quaiffe's a while ago. Coincidently we are doing (YES WE) a group buy on a clutch style limited slip. There is still time to get in on it. Cast is around $900 ish.
I am the 73%

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”