gear kits

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Nate
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: gear kits

Postby Nate » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Crazyswede wrote:I don't think I'd want to daily drive a straight cut gearbox car. Lots of noise tends to come out of straight cut gears. Think of that wirring sound that reverse makes and now think about that sound in your ears all day at 75 mph on the highway.

What about running this gearset in a 5 speed box? Then a person could retain the stock 5th gear for quiet highway cruising.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:58 pm

Basically the same ratio's as S&R, so big R&P is ideal, for high speed events a stock R&P with a #4 primary set and small rolling diameter tires is workable but not ideal.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Nate wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:I don't think I'd want to daily drive a straight cut gearbox car. Lots of noise tends to come out of straight cut gears. Think of that wirring sound that reverse makes and now think about that sound in your ears all day at 75 mph on the highway.

What about running this gearset in a 5 speed box? Then a person could retain the stock 5th gear for quiet highway cruising.

Top gear final ratio is always a function of the primary/R&P ratio on 4 spds and 5 spds.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:33 pm

We run out of gear on big tracks with S&R gearset, stock R&P and #4 primaries. #5s or a bigger wheel tire package is being looked at for next season to get a little more speed down the straights. Rev limit is currently 7500rpm which is somewhere around 130mph

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Jordan wrote:We run out of gear on big tracks with S&R gearset, stock R&P and #4 primaries. #5s or a bigger wheel tire package is being looked at for next season to get a little more speed down the straights. Rev limit is currently 7500rpm which is somewhere around 130mph

130 with the current setup or with the #5 primaries and bigger tires? What size tire are you running on the current setup?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Current setup w/ #4 . Rev limiter may have been 7200 at the time we were hitting the limiter, I can't remember when it was bumped to 7500. Current tire size is 225/45/15.

Here is a vid from Summit Point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLrc4_orHJI you can see the RPMs at the straight. Car is tuned better now and is even quicker so I'm preparing for the big straights at Watkins Glen this spring.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Jordan, How do you like 1st gear with the stock R&P and the #4 primaries? Looks like it's similar to a stock 5spd in 2nd gear.

Below are speeds at 7000RPM using the FLD gear set (figure just about the same for the S&R since the ratios are about the same) using different R&P and Primaries (some more available than others). Gut check agrees pretty well with Jordans 130mph at ~7200-7500 RPM - formulas don't account for tire squish. I threw in a 5spd for good measure but left off 1st gear because I didn't want to reformat my plots.

Figure about +/- 5% variance in speed based on larger or smaller tire sizes.
Speeds at 7K RPM.jpg
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:49 pm

I was running the stock R&P with the 31:30 primary and didn't have issues with the first gear. It was a bit of a pain to get moving at Mt. Washington when we were staged half way up the mountain for practice runs, but not doable. It really just makes it feel more like a lot of other race cars I've driven with tall first gears and racing clutches etc. I wouldn't want it in a daily driver.

It also made first gear very usable for the tighter corners. It will be interesting to see how it is with the taller rally tires.

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal

Postby KPAero » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:49 pm

I was running the stock R&P with the 31:30 primary and didn't have issues with the first gear. It was a bit of a pain to get moving at Mt. Washington when we were staged half way up the mountain for practice runs, but not doable. It really just makes it feel more like a lot of other race cars I've driven with tall first gears and racing clutches etc. I wouldn't want it in a daily driver.

It also made first gear very usable for the tighter corners. It will be interesting to see how it is with the taller rally tires.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Yeah first is no problem starting off and even maintaining a low pit speed. At one point we had an interference on our new shifter which locked out 1/2 and I had to start off in 3rd..even that was doable on flat ground without killing the clutch. It really isn't bad at all. I'd say the it being like a 5 speed 2nd gear is probably accurate. Being very light and having an oe-style clutch I think makes it almost un-noticable getting up to speed.

rsp57

Postby rsp57 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:40 am

So after much thought, i have ordered a kit. Can't wait to get it into the car!
FLD make two kits, a copy of the S&R and a straight cut version.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:11 am

rsp57 wrote:So after much thought, i have ordered a kit. Can't wait to get it into the car!
FLD make two kits, a copy of the S&R and a straight cut version.

Nice. Good for you. You only live once. Did you go with the straight cut version?

rsp57

Postby rsp57 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:19 pm

Yes Dennis, straight cut with later type dogs

rsp57

Postby rsp57 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Gear kit finally arrived and looks the goods!

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:38 am

rsp57 wrote:Gear kit finally arrived and looks the goods!

Need pictures. Must have pictures.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”