gear kits

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
rsp57
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

gear kits

Postby rsp57 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:14 am

I know this has been done to death over the years but i'm after EOI in dog change gear kits. I know e euro parts have had them in the past but due to them being a copy of the factory units, IMO they are "old technology" compared to today's designs. just look at the number of "dogs" compared to a current gears manufactured today. The more dogs the harder it is to get the change right. Anyone who has driven a late model rally car with a dogbox will know how easy they are to use. I am looking into having a kit made and obviously the more made the lower the cost, If they can be supplied for around $4-4500us, are there any interested parties? They would be made by a reputable manufacturer and made for motorsport use.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: gear kits

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 am

It never hurts to look into but you may find it a challenge to find enough interested parties who will actually put money down. Best bet is to reach out to every Saab forum for 99/900 in the USA and UK.

There are also multiple groups on Bookface to post on.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:50 am

There are the Davidsson gearsets in Sweden which are like you describe, a true modern dog gearset. I don't know if they are available at the moment, but the price was very good and from what I heard they would make more. I would go in on a group run if the price was around $3K .

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:17 pm

About 5-6 of the Davidsson gearsets were built a few years ago. I don't know if others have been built since. But, I'm told they are willing to make them in smaller runs if needed.
It uses straight cut gears which means that the reverse gears have to be straight cut as well (to mate with 1st). It also has big dogs.
FLD1.jpg
FLD2.jpg
FLD3.jpg
FLD4.jpg

Apparently there was a 480hp 900 rally car running that gearset in Sweden. Not sure if they've managed to break anything or not. But this gearset is supposed to be the strongest for C900/99. It isn't identical to the historic SSR gearsets - straight cut instead of helical and slightly different ratios (as my memory serves).

Price for the gear set (as shown in the second picture) would probably be under $3K, but I haven't had it quoted (at least not recently). http://www.firmalarsdavidsson.se/

There are some 'gotchas' when installing it. I think it might have to do with the shim stack height Image and possibly some case machining. I'll let you know. ;)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

rsp57

Postby rsp57 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks, worth looking into, do they understand English or do you need to translate into Swedish?

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal

Postby KPAero » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:41 pm

Well those are cool. I'd be interested, but might be tough as I already have one of the reproduction gear kits.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:14 am

The eEuro reproduction units shift fantastic and have put up with a lot of abuse. I will have to drive the other type when Geoff gets his into something, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately the eEuro sets have sold out i'm guessing for the indeterminate future.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:00 pm

I think Luke and I both have Saab boxes with the earlier gearsets that have a lot more dogs. Lukes can be a pain to shift...the short amount I have driven mine it wasnt so bad....but that is mostly because the dogs are more worn ;)
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:04 pm

English: Word around the DI Cassette is that the owner doesn't speak English but he may be able to solicit help with translation from a family member.

Jordan: New Eeuro kit? ;)

You'd want a S&R R&P with a gear kit like this. I think the S&R ratios are pretty similar. First gear is super long. With a 31:30 primary and a 9:35 R&P (stock) you could do 60mph at 6000RPM in 1st gear. For comparison a 5spd gearbox will get you between 50-55mph at 6000rpm (depending on primary drive) in second gear - type 8 primaries would be about 58mph in 2nd. 1st gear at 6000RPM in a 5spd is right about 30mph.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

nkro

Postby nkro » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Maybe you can have some help from sweden.
But I think you should have to order more than one gearset.
FLD have only sold a few saab gearsets.

I know that the firts ones had some faults.

Niklas

nkro

Postby nkro » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:03 am

You could call the manufacture of the speedparts gearset.
Im not sure he produce theme anymore.
But Its a good design.

You have to modify the front gear case.

Niklas

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:30 am

Years ago I contacted a gear maker here in Vermont about reproducing the factory gearset that Speedparts was selling. The tooling was going to cost about $10,000 due to the complexity of the helical cut gears. The gear maker however was suggesting we could do a straight cut set for a much more reasonable amount of money. I have not talked with that guy in a while because my need has diminished greatly.
I am the 73%

rsp57

Postby rsp57 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:52 am

Have been in contact with Lars and his kits are available for 17000sek.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:19 pm

Sounds like $1983.20 US dollars. Did anyone ever get the gear teeth numbers to calculate the actuals ratios ? would be interesting to compare .

rsp57

Postby rsp57 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:24 pm

I have asked

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”